Methotrexate and Abdominal pain - from FDA reports
Abdominal pain is found among people who take Methotrexate, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Humira, and have Crohn's disease. This review analyzes which people have Abdominal pain with Methotrexate. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 231,270 people who have side effects when taking Methotrexate from FDA, and is updated regularly.
231,270 people reported to have side effects when taking Methotrexate.
Among them, 4,105 people (1.77%) have Abdominal pain
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Methotrexate when people have Abdominal pain *:
- < 1 month: 36.11 %
- 1 - 6 months: 14.14 %
- 6 - 12 months: 9.34 %
- 1 - 2 years: 12.63 %
- 2 - 5 years: 14.14 %
- 5 - 10 years: 9.09 %
- 10+ years: 4.55 %
Gender of people who have Abdominal pain when taking Methotrexate *:
- female: 72.33 %
- male: 27.67 %
Age of people who have Abdominal pain when taking Methotrexate *:
- 0-1: 0.23 %
- 2-9: 5.63 %
- 10-19: 11.84 %
- 20-29: 5.95 %
- 30-39: 7.06 %
- 40-49: 13.53 %
- 50-59: 22.69 %
- 60+: 33.07 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Crohn's Disease (condition that causes inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract): 371 people, 9.04%
- Pain: 232 people, 5.65%
- High Blood Pressure: 204 people, 4.97%
- Psoriatic Arthropathy (inflammation of the skin and joints with kin condition which typically causes patches (plaques) of red, scaly skin to develop): 200 people, 4.87%
- Preventive Health Care: 147 people, 3.58%
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Humira: 934 people, 22.75%
- Folic Acid: 863 people, 21.02%
- Enbrel: 691 people, 16.83%
- Prednisone: 645 people, 15.71%
- Remicade: 390 people, 9.50%
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Diarrhea: 998 people, 24.31%
- Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit): 972 people, 23.68%
- Nausea And Vomiting: 780 people, 19.00%
- Fever: 624 people, 15.20%
- Fatigue (feeling of tiredness): 496 people, 12.08%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
Experience matters! A new approach to health care:
What's next: manage your medications
- Subscribe to monitor Abdominal pain in Methotrexate
- Subscribe to monitor Methotrexate
- Order discounted lab tests to monitor your medications, no doctor referral required
- Check whether a drug or a condition causes Abdominal pain
- Connect with people like you, or share your experience to help people like you
- Print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
- Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Methotrexate has active ingredients of methotrexate sodium. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from Methotrexate 234,889 users)
Abdominal pain has been reported by people with birth control, crohn's disease, high blood pressure, pain (latest reports from 137,931 Abdominal pain patients).
Drugs that are associated with Abdominal painAbdominal pain (2,854 drugs)
Could your condition cause Abdominal painAbdominal pain (4,081 conditions)
Methotrexate side effects
- Methotrexate side effects (231,412 reports)
Browse all side effects of Methotrexatea b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Bhuvan KC, ALrasheedy AA, Ibrahim MI, "A case report from Nepalese community pharmacy on levofloxacin induced severe abdominal pain", Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal, 2013 Jul .
- Henien M, Carey B, Hullah E, Sproat C, Patel V, "methotrexate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw: A report of two cases", Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, 2017 Dec .
What would happen?
You are not alone. Join our personalized support groups:
- Support group for people who take Methotrexate and have Abdominal Pain
- Support group for people who have Abdominal Pain
- Support group for people who take Methotrexate
You may be interested in these posts
- I'm suffering from psoriatic Arthritis and have athletes foot. On MTX for more than 5 Years now.
- Hi I'm 41 female and have hypersensitivity pneuminitus which is lung disease I take methetrexate as a way of trying to keep down inflammation I'll find out if it's working in 4 months ,I was on steroids but had cussons disease and weight gain but it didn't help my lungs are getting worse every...
- I have been having digestive problems, acid reflux and stomach pain. Wondering if this medication is causing these effects?
- Hye. I rafiq from malaysia. Last year my son 4 years old diagnosed as a leukemia ALL high risk.. start feb this year 2018 he have side effects of MTX chemotherapy and involved brain damage . I really hope your support can give alternative treatments or advise to take care of my son situations.
- My name is Cathy. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. I will be starting Methotrexate in a few days. I hope it does well for me and everyone is doing well.
- Will you have Abdominal Pain with Methotrexate?
- Will you have Oa with Theo-Dur?
- Will you have Serotonin Syndrome with Abstral?
- Will you have Vitiligo Aggravated with Restless Leg Syndrome?
- Will you have Herpetic Stomatitis with Metoclopramide?
Active Support Groups
- Support group for people who take Methotrexate and have Abdominal Pain?
- Support group for people who take Theo-Dur and have Oa?
- Support group for people who take Abstral and have Serotonin Syndrome?
- Support group for people who have Restless Leg Syndrome and Vitiligo Aggravated?
- Support group for people who take Metoclopramide and have Herpetic Stomatitis?
- I had tried repatha and it nearly killed me,( High BP) then the Dr's wanted me to try Praluent. I...
- Hello. I am newly diagnosed with dry macular degeneration in the left eye and am very interested...
- I have been taking Actonel for 2 1/2 years now and since having started have experienced extreme...
- Yes,I did as I was taking it for GAD,I switched from pregabalin to Xanax for my condition but wish...
- Hi,I’ve been taking Xanax for GAD,which has worked wonders for my mental health! But the side...
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.