Methotrexate and Pml - from FDA reports
Pml is found among people who take Methotrexate, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for 5 - 10 years, also take medication Prednisone, and have Tonsil cancer. This review analyzes which people have Pml with Methotrexate. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 231,270 people who have side effects when taking Methotrexate from FDA , and is updated regularly.
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our original studies have been referenced on 400+ peer-reviewed medical publications, including: The Lancet, and Mayo Clinic Proceedings.
231,270 people reported to have side effects when taking Methotrexate.
Among them, 342 people (0.15%) have Pml
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Methotrexate when people have Pml *:
- < 1 month: 9.43 %
- 1 - 6 months: 22.64 %
- 6 - 12 months: 18.87 %
- 1 - 2 years: 1.8900000000000001 %
- 2 - 5 years: 13.21 %
- 5 - 10 years: 30.19 %
- 10+ years: 3.77 %
Gender of people who have Pml when taking Methotrexate *:
- female: 65.87 %
- male: 34.13 %
Age of people who have Pml when taking Methotrexate *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.67 %
- 10-19: 6.71 %
- 20-29: 2.35 %
- 30-39: 6.38 %
- 40-49: 18.12 %
- 50-59: 21.81 %
- 60+: 43.96 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Tonsil Cancer: 22 people, 6.43%
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (an autoimmune disease, which means the body's immune system mistakenly, attacks healthy tissue): 21 people, 6.14%
- Polymyositis (inflammatory muscle disease that causes weakness of the skeletal muscles): 15 people, 4.39%
- Dermatomyositis (inflammation of the skin and underlying muscle tissue, typically occurring as an autoimmune condition or associated with internal cancer): 15 people, 4.39%
- Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia (All) (cancer of the white blood cells characterized by excess lymphoblasts): 14 people, 4.09%
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Prednisone: 62 people, 18.13%
- Folic Acid: 53 people, 15.50%
- Cyclophosphamide: 50 people, 14.62%
- Rituxan: 43 people, 12.57%
- Prednisolone: 42 people, 12.28%
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Jc Virus Infection: 39 people, 11.40%
- Speech Impairment (Adult) (inability to speak (adult)): 32 people, 9.36%
- Pneumonia: 23 people, 6.73%
- Weakness: 19 people, 5.56%
- Drug Ineffective: 18 people, 5.26%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Do you take Methotrexate and have Pml?
- Check whether a drug or a condition causes Pml
- Predict new side effects and undetected conditions
- Share you experience to help people like you
We suggest these affordable tests for self monitoring. You can order them and receive results on eHealthMe. No doctor referral or insurance necessary.
- Ana (antinuclear antibodies) screen, ifa with reflex to titer and pattern ($63.00) Add to cart
- Cbc (includes differential and platelets) ($32.00) Add to cart
- Sedimentation rate ($47.00) Add to cart
Methotrexate has active ingredients of methotrexate sodium. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from Methotrexate 234,889 users)
Pml has been reported by people with multiple sclerosis, relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis, chronic lymphocytic leukaemia, non-hodgkin's lymphoma, rheumatoid arthritis (latest reports from 7,860 Pml patients).
Drugs that are associated with PmlPml (834 drugs)
Could your condition cause PmlPml (596 conditions)
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsPml and drugs with ingredients of methotrexate sodium. (343 reports)
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMePml and Methotrexate from FDA and eHealthMe reports (342 reports)
Methotrexate side effects
- Methotrexate side effects (231,412 reports)
Browse all side effects of Methotrexatea b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Henien M, Carey B, Hullah E, Sproat C, Patel V, "methotrexate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw: A report of two cases", Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, 2017 Dec .
Analysis tools (to study 684 million drug outcomes from FDA)
- Check symptoms - identify the cause of a symptom: from a drug or from a condition?
- Check drugs - find out common side effects or drug interactions of my drugs.
- Compare drugs - compare the side effects and efficacy of multiple drugs side by side.
What would happen?
You are not alone. Join our personalized support groups:
- Support group for people who take Methotrexate and have Pml
- Support group for people who have Pml
- Support group for people who take Methotrexate
Can you answer these questions
- Diagnosed with Rhumatoid/Ostio Arthritis from Lyme Disease. My doctor switched me from Methotrexate pills to once weekly injection. Now I have difficulty walking very wobbly gait. Anyone else have these issues!
- does anyone know if you can just stop taking this drug ?
- My name is Dave and I have been taking Methrotraxate for about 10 years In the last few days I have been diagnosed with an enlarged heart. I am due to see a cardiologist on Wednesday M6 question-if the drug has caused mt enlarged heart- if I stop taking it for a few months will my heart...
- I have been recently given a diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis. I had an atypical presentation with muscle pains in my thighs and later on wrist swelling. No joint pains or stiffness. Probably very early still. I am taking low dose steroids and MTX. The muscle pains improved but I developed...
- I have psoriatic arthritis and take methotrexate and plaquenil. I am doing well on these meds except for pain on the upper left side and around the back. The only relief is when I lay down. The pain is usually in the afternoon or when standing.
You may be interested in these posts
- I take both and it is sickness. I need some help to keep me going. Thank you
- Hi all. I have been on this education for the last 8 months and have diaherea each time I take my shot. With that i have developed colitis and I have been. Suffering big time.tell me your story. My Dr does not believe i get the runs from the medication. I am getting to the point of punching...
- Enjoying my Methotrexate weekly injections. I've had 4 so far. With this crazy weather I have more bad days then good. I want to believe this is the best treatment "Trust in your Doctor". Just seeing more changes happening rapidly with my body this past year. Had to quit my, 20 year,...
- I have been taking Methotrexate for several years to treat arthritis and psoriasis. Thin blood seems to be the only problem and wonder if there is any solutions
- I'm 19 years old and diagnosed with RA about 3 months ago. On MTX for past 3 months. just discovered that my RDW is slightly elevated in the blood test.
- Will you have Salivary Duct Obstruction with Java Citronella?
- Will you have Red Blood Cell Morphology Abnormal with Metformin?
- Will you have Left Ventricular Dysfunction with Voriconazole?
- Will you have Platelet Count Increased with Olmetec?
- Will you have Constipation Aggravated with Pancytopenia?
Active Support Groups
- Support group for people who take Java Citronella and have Salivary Duct Obstruction?
- Support group for people who take Metformin and have Red Blood Cell Morphology Abnormal?
- Support group for people who take Voriconazole and have Left Ventricular Dysfunction?
- Support group for people who take Olmetec and have Platelet Count Increased?
- Support group for people who have Pancytopenia and Constipation Aggravated?
- What to expect when you take Java Citronella and have Salivary Duct Obstruction?
- What to expect when you take Metformin and have Red Blood Cell Morphology Abnormal?
- What to expect when you take Voriconazole and have Left Ventricular Dysfunction?
- What to expect when you take Olmetec and have Platelet Count Increased?
- What to expect when you have Pancytopenia and Constipation Aggravated?
- A study for a 66 year old woman who takes Clonidine
- Drug comparison of Aspirin, Persantine for a 25 year old woman
- A study for a 47 year old man who takes Crestor
- A study for a 22 year old woman who takes Zolpidem, Concerta
- A study for a 66 year old man who takes Tizanidine Hydrochloride, Movantik, Zetia, Cymbalta, Nexium, Lyrica, Tramadol, Crestor, Altace, Nucynta Er
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.