Nexplanon and Unintended pregnancy - from FDA reports
Unintended pregnancy is found among people who take Nexplanon, especially for people who are female, 20-29 old , have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Lamictal, and have Bipolar disorder. This review analyzes which people have Unintended pregnancy with Nexplanon. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 18,093 people who have side effects when taking Nexplanon from FDA , and is updated regularly.
18,093 people reported to have side effects when taking Nexplanon.
Among them, 904 people (5.0%) have Unintended pregnancy
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Nexplanon when people have Unintended pregnancy *:
- < 1 month: 10.93 %
- 1 - 6 months: 41.7 %
- 6 - 12 months: 16.19 %
- 1 - 2 years: 16.6 %
- 2 - 5 years: 14.57 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Unintended pregnancy when taking Nexplanon *:
- female: 100 %
- male: 0.0 %
Age of people who have Unintended pregnancy when taking Nexplanon *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 23.79 %
- 20-29: 54.03 %
- 30-39: 18.6 %
- 40-49: 3.58 %
- 50-59: 0.0 %
- 60+: 0.0 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Bipolar Disorder (mood disorder): 13 people, 1.44%
- Seasonal Allergy (allergic condition due to certain season): 12 people, 1.33%
- Migraine (headache): 11 people, 1.22%
- Depression: 7 people, 0.77%
- Tuberculosis (a bacterial infection by mycobacterium tuberculosis): 6 people, 0.66%
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Lamictal: 19 people, 2.10%
- Abilify: 15 people, 1.66%
- Implanon: 11 people, 1.22%
- Tylenol: 7 people, 0.77%
- Topamax: 7 people, 0.77%
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Pregnancy With Implant Contraceptive: 391 people, 43.25%
- Abortion Spontaneous (naturally occurring miscarriage): 168 people, 18.58%
- Abortion Induced (medically referred abortion): 129 people, 14.27%
- Medical Device Complication: 91 people, 10.07%
- Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit): 37 people, 4.09%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
Do you take Nexplanon and have Unintended pregnancy?
- Check whether a drug or a condition causes Unintended pregnancy
- Predict new side effects and undetected conditions
- Connect with people like you, or share your experience to help people like you
- Subscribe to our medication-monitoring plan to get peace of mind during medical treatment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Nexplanon has active ingredients of etonogestrel. It is often used in birth control. (latest outcomes from Nexplanon 18,390 users)
Unintended pregnancy (unwanted pregnancies as well as those that are mistimed) has been reported by people with birth control, acne, epilepsy, oral contraception, depression (latest reports from 9,751 Unintended pregnancy patients).
Drugs that are associated with Unintended pregnancyUnintended pregnancy (536 drugs)
Could your condition cause Unintended pregnancyUnintended pregnancy (281 conditions)
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsUnintended pregnancy and drugs with ingredients of etonogestrel. (1,484 reports)
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeUnintended pregnancy and Nexplanon from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Nexplanon side effects
- Nexplanon side effects (18,095 reports)
Browse all side effects of Nexplanona b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
What would happen?
You are not alone. Join our personalized support groups:
- Support group for people who take Nexplanon and have Unintended Pregnancy
- Support group for people who have Unintended Pregnancy
- Support group for people who take Nexplanon
Can you answer these questions
- My 19 year old daughter just started using Nexplanon 3 months ago and today had to be taken to emergency room because she had a seizure. is this common? she did have seizures when she was 9 but was dismissed as she didnt have them until today. please advise farah rosario firstname.lastname@example.org
- I had the nexpanon implanted on July 13th. I have been bleeding non stop for almost a month and a half now. I am very weak and feel dizzy often. Is this normal
- It says I'm not alone but nothing has been posted in the group? I guess my question would be does anyone have any direct hep c problems using nexplanon?
- I have cardiomyopathy and I am 90% sure it was caused by the Nexplanon implant.
- Anyone with these, were you diagnosed before or after Nexplanon implantation? How do you deal with dyshidrosis? I'm currently on a 7 day course of Keflex due to developing white puss under one of my fingernails from this disorder. I can't take it anymore!
You may be interested in these posts
- Hello, I have been on the Nexplanon for over a year now. I have been dizzy for months. Thought I had vestibular migraines. Now maybe fluid in my ears, but I am now thinking it’s from the Nexplanon. I feel like I’m constantly rocking on a boat. I am starting to feel horrible all day/everyday ....
- I have the nexplanon implant. I consistently get very itchy bug bites but only on the skin covering my implant. The bites never occur elsewhere on my body.
- I have had my Nexplanon implant in for over a year, and in that time on my left arm just under the armpit is a darker coloured patch of skin. It doesn't itch or irritate me. Anybody else had something similar?
- I had the Nexplanon put in when I was 28 or 29. I still have it on for 2 years and I have Multiple sclerosis symptoms, fibromyalgia symptoms and optic neritis I think what it's called the neurologist is sending me to an eye doctor literally for the symptoms
- For the last couple months I have been desperate to find an answer to my issue. Around the time of my menstrual cycle I will sleep for days on end and it's difficult to wake me up. It is affecting my family and marriage. Please help
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.