Omeprazole and Osteoporosis - from FDA reports
Osteoporosis is found among people who take Omeprazole, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for 6 - 12 months, also take medication Nexium, and have Pain. This review analyzes which people have Osteoporosis with Omeprazole. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 174,713 people who have side effects when taking Omeprazole from FDA , and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Dec, 22, 2017
174,713 people reported to have side effects when taking Omeprazole.
Among them, 979 people (0.56%) have Osteoporosis
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Omeprazole when people have Osteoporosis *:
- < 1 month: 10.61 %
- 1 - 6 months: 7.58 %
- 6 - 12 months: 25.76 %
- 1 - 2 years: 19.7 %
- 2 - 5 years: 10.61 %
- 5 - 10 years: 10.61 %
- 10+ years: 15.15 %
Gender of people who have Osteoporosis when taking Omeprazole *:
- female: 76.24 %
- male: 23.76 %
Age of people who have Osteoporosis when taking Omeprazole *:
- 0-1: 0.13 %
- 2-9: 0.27 %
- 10-19: 0.54 %
- 20-29: 2.42 %
- 30-39: 2.83 %
- 40-49: 13.32 %
- 50-59: 25.17 %
- 60+: 55.32 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Pain (152 people, 15.53%)
- High Blood Pressure (149 people, 15.22%)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (138 people, 14.10%)
- High Blood Cholesterol (132 people, 13.48%)
- Depression (77 people, 7.87%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Nexium (274 people, 27.99%)
- Prednisone (133 people, 13.59%)
- Zometa (124 people, 12.67%)
- Aspirin (120 people, 12.26%)
- Lisinopril (116 people, 11.85%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Pain (240 people, 24.51%)
- Fall (240 people, 24.51%)
- Osteoarthritis (232 people, 23.70%)
- Back Pain (217 people, 22.17%)
- Joint Pain (208 people, 21.25%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Do you have Osteoporosis when taking Omeprazole?
- Check symptoms - is osteoporosis caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- Ask a question - ask a question related to the study
- write a post - share your experience related to the study
- More tools...
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsOsteoporosis and drugs with ingredients of omeprazole.
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeOsteoporosis and Omeprazole from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Omeprazole has active ingredients of omeprazole. It is often used in gastroesophageal reflux disease. (latest outcomes from Omeprazole 181,315 users)
Osteoporosis (bones weak and more likely to break) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, osteopenia, rheumatoid arthritis, gastroesophageal reflux disease, high blood pressure (latest reports from 182,298 Osteoporosis patients).
Browse all side effects of Omeprazolea b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with OsteoporosisOsteoporosis
Could your condition cause OsteoporosisOsteoporosis
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Ko KD, Cho BL, "Risedronate-related Localized Amnesia in an Elderly Patient with Osteoporosis", Journal of the Korean Geriatrics Society, 2012 Dec .
- Hirschmann S, Gibel A, Tsvelikhovsky I, Lisker A, "Late-Onset Psychosis and Risedronate Treatment for Osteoporosis: A Case Report", Clinical schizophrenia & related psychoses, 2013 May .
- Lee WY, Sun LM, Lin MC, Liang JA, Chang SN, Sung FC, Muo CH, Kao CH, "A higher dosage of oral alendronate will increase the subsequent cancer risk of osteoporosis patients in Taiwan: a population-based cohort study", PloS one, 2012 Dec .
What would happen?
Questions to the study
Hello everyone my name is Jane. I started having difficulty in breathing and full sensation in my chest which gets worse after taking honey. Since then I've been going from one hospital to another with no concrete diagnosis. My chest xray report shows clear lung fields, my ECG equally shows ...
Anyone else started on Omeprazole and wonder if their anti-depressant is still working? I take them both first thing in the morning, and have for a few weeks. This past week I am soooo low. Anyone else?
Hi! 36 year old male, with chronic non bacterial prostatitis, and GERD. Changed my life in six months, new diet, exercises, and lost 40lbs...now weight 159 which is correct BMI :). However, prostatitis has been killing me for 4 months, no answers, no results from antibiotics, alpha blockers, ...
User posts to the study
This explains the awful headaches I have been getting recently . Also, I think they affect my ability to get a good nights sleep too . I took one last night due to my reflux and then felt my head was sort of buzzing too much even though I was tired . Woke up , ate breakfast , too dogs out . As I ...