Omeprazole and Sudden death - from FDA reports
Sudden death is found among people who take Omeprazole, especially for people who are male, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Furosemide, and have Multiple myeloma. This review analyzes which people have Sudden death with Omeprazole. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 174,713 people who have side effects when taking Omeprazole from FDA , and is updated regularly.
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our original studies have been referenced on 400+ peer-reviewed medical publications, including: The Lancet, and Mayo Clinic Proceedings.
174,713 people reported to have side effects when taking Omeprazole.
Among them, 3,563 people (2.04%) have Sudden death
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Omeprazole when people have Sudden death *:
- < 1 month: 42.42 %
- 1 - 6 months: 30.91 %
- 6 - 12 months: 7.27 %
- 1 - 2 years: 7.27 %
- 2 - 5 years: 6.06 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.61 %
- 10+ years: 5.45 %
Gender of people who have Sudden death when taking Omeprazole *:
- female: 47.66 %
- male: 52.34 %
Age of people who have Sudden death when taking Omeprazole *:
- 0-1: 0.49 %
- 2-9: 0.25 %
- 10-19: 0.7000000000000001 %
- 20-29: 0.77 %
- 30-39: 3.98 %
- 40-49: 7.39 %
- 50-59: 15.7 %
- 60+: 70.7 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Multiple Myeloma (cancer of the plasma cells): 345 people, 9.68%
- High Blood Pressure: 234 people, 6.57%
- Pain: 221 people, 6.20%
- Preventive Health Care: 159 people, 4.46%
- Primary Pulmonary Hypertension (primary high blood pressure that affects the arteries in the lungs and the right side of your heart): 135 people, 3.79%
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Furosemide: 377 people, 10.58%
- Revlimid: 317 people, 8.90%
- Aspirin: 315 people, 8.84%
- Lasix: 300 people, 8.42%
- Prednisone: 241 people, 6.76%
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Breathing Difficulty: 249 people, 6.99%
- Weakness: 208 people, 5.84%
- Pneumonia: 188 people, 5.28%
- Pain: 186 people, 5.22%
- Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit): 177 people, 4.97%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Do you take Omeprazole and have Sudden death?
- Check whether a drug or a condition causes Sudden death
- Predict new side effects and undetected conditions
- Share you experience to help people like you
We suggest these affordable tests for self monitoring. You can order them and receive results on eHealthMe. No doctor referral or insurance necessary.
- Cbc (includes differential and platelets) ($32.00) Add to cart
- Hcg (pregnancy) qualitative, serum (human chorionic gonadotropin) females only ($53.00) Add to cart
- Urinalysis, complete with microscopic examination ($39.00) Add to cart
Omeprazole has active ingredients of omeprazole. It is often used in gastroesophageal reflux disease. (latest outcomes from Omeprazole 181,318 users)
Sudden death has been reported by people with multiple myeloma, primary pulmonary hypertension, chronic myeloid leukaemia, diabetes, multiple sclerosis (latest reports from 386,249 Sudden death patients).
Drugs that are associated with Sudden deathSudden death (3,452 drugs)
Could your condition cause Sudden deathSudden death (3,559 conditions)
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsSudden death and drugs with ingredients of omeprazole. (5,116 reports)
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeSudden death and Omeprazole from FDA and eHealthMe reports (3,573 reports)
Omeprazole side effects
- Omeprazole side effects (174,792 reports)
Browse all side effects of Omeprazolea b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Analysis tools (to study 684 million drug outcomes from FDA)
- Check symptoms - identify the cause of a symptom: from a drug or from a condition?
- Check drugs - find out common side effects or drug interactions of my drugs.
- Compare drugs - compare the side effects and efficacy of multiple drugs side by side.
What would happen?
You are not alone. Join our personalized support groups:
- Support group for people who take Omeprazole and have Sudden Death
- Support group for people who have Sudden Death
- Support group for people who take Omeprazole
Can you answer these questions
- hi I'm wondering if there us a alternative medicine to omprezole as I get so much joint pain with this .
- Since being on Norco and mobic i have really bad nightmares. Mostly about family dying or getting killed. Which medication does this if any?
- I started Omeprazole for acid reflux and five days later my normal BP of 122/70 spiked to 188/91. Could that be from Omeprazole?
- I currently taking omeprazole daily but having horrendous side effects especially gout has anyone else suffer this
- I am love to have donuts. Are you?
You may be interested in these posts
- I take omprezole and have servere joint pain in my big toes on both feet and across the top of my back .I'm wondering if It here is a alternative medicine ..
- After taking the drug for 3 months, I am starving (or feel like I am) all the time. I have gained 8 pounds. Any helpful solutions or similar drugs that don't have this side effect?
- I have a loved on that died suddenly just a few days after an injection of Remicade. He was only 37 and had ulcerated colitis. He was found unresponsive on the floor in the morning and the paramedics could not revive him. We would like answers, as there is no clear cause of death. Has anyone...
- Hello, I’d love to know if I will have to take this medication for ever ... thanks
- I've been taking omeprazone for 3 weeks now, and I have tingling and forearms, right hand and right foot. Anyone else? What can be done? I was going to take B12 supplements but blood work came back normal, so it's not that. This is a new symptom for me ever since taking this.
- Will you have Sepsis with All?
- Tenoretic 100 and Verapamil Hydrochloride drug interaction
- Will you have Systemic Sclerosis (Scleroderma) with Hypogammaglobulinaemia?
- Will you have Progressive Systemic Sclerosis with Hypogammaglobulinaemia?
- Will you have Crest Syndrome with Hypogammaglobulinaemia?
Active Support Groups
- Support group for people who have All and Sepsis?
- Support group for people who take Tenoretic 100 and Verapamil Hydrochloride
- Support group for people who have Hypogammaglobulinaemia and Systemic Sclerosis (Scleroderma)?
- Support group for people who have Hypogammaglobulinaemia and Progressive Systemic Sclerosis?
- Support group for people who have Hypogammaglobulinaemia and Crest Syndrome?
- What to expect when you have All and Sepsis?
- What to expect when you take Tenoretic 100 and Verapamil Hydrochloride
- What to expect when you have Hypogammaglobulinaemia and Systemic Sclerosis (Scleroderma)?
- What to expect when you have Hypogammaglobulinaemia and Progressive Systemic Sclerosis?
- What to expect when you have Hypogammaglobulinaemia and Crest Syndrome?
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.