Paxil and Major depression - from FDA reports
Major depression is found among people who take Paxil, especially for people who are female, 40-49 old , have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Seroquel, and have Insomnia. This review analyzes which people have Major depression with Paxil. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 78,781 people who have side effects when taking Paxil from FDA , and is updated regularly.
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our original studies have been referenced on 400+ peer-reviewed medical publications, including: The Lancet, and Mayo Clinic Proceedings.
78,781 people reported to have side effects when taking Paxil.
Among them, 235 people (0.3%) have Major depression
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Paxil when people have Major depression *:
- < 1 month: 13.21 %
- 1 - 6 months: 15.09 %
- 6 - 12 months: 9.43 %
- 1 - 2 years: 15.09 %
- 2 - 5 years: 32.08 %
- 5 - 10 years: 13.21 %
- 10+ years: 1.8900000000000001 %
Gender of people who have Major depression when taking Paxil *:
- female: 56.6 %
- male: 43.4 %
Age of people who have Major depression when taking Paxil *:
- 0-1: 0.52 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 8.81 %
- 20-29: 3.11 %
- 30-39: 13.99 %
- 40-49: 32.12 %
- 50-59: 25.39 %
- 60+: 16.06 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Pain: 25 people, 10.64%
- Insomnia (sleeplessness): 25 people, 10.64%
- Sleep Disorder: 19 people, 8.09%
- Bipolar Disorder (mood disorder): 17 people, 7.23%
- Parkinson's Disease: 13 people, 5.53%
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Seroquel: 76 people, 32.34%
- Effexor: 44 people, 18.72%
- Zyprexa: 41 people, 17.45%
- Xanax: 38 people, 16.17%
- Lexapro: 38 people, 16.17%
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Suicidal Ideation: 107 people, 45.53%
- Headache (pain in head): 65 people, 27.66%
- Dizziness: 64 people, 27.23%
- Suicide Attempt: 59 people, 25.11%
- Insomnia (sleeplessness): 56 people, 23.83%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Do you take Paxil and have Major depression?
- Check whether a drug or a condition causes Major depression
- Predict new side effects and undetected conditions
- Connect with people like you, or share your experience to help people like you
Paxil has active ingredients of paroxetine hydrochloride. It is often used in depression. (latest outcomes from Paxil 82,159 users)
Major depression (a mood state that goes well beyond temporarily feeling sad or blue. it is a serious medical illness that affects one's thoughts, feelings) has been reported by people with depression, pain, osteoporosis, stress and anxiety, major depression (latest reports from 22,240 Major depression patients).
Drugs that are associated with Major depressionMajor depression (1,402 drugs)
Could your condition cause Major depressionMajor depression (1,060 conditions)
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsMajor depression and drugs with ingredients of paroxetine hydrochloride. (325 reports)
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeMajor depression and Paxil from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Paxil side effects
- Paxil side effects (78,804 reports)
Browse all side effects of Paxila b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Coskun M, Adak I, Akaltun I, "Bilateral gynecomastia in a preadolescent boy while under treatment with methylphenidate and paroxetine", Journal of clinical psychopharmacology, 2014 Aug .
Analysis tools (to study 684 million drug outcomes from FDA)
- Check symptoms - identify the cause of a symptom: from a drug or from a condition?
- Check drugs - find out common side effects or drug interactions of my drugs.
- Compare drugs - compare the side effects and efficacy of multiple drugs side by side.
What would happen?
You are not alone. Join our personalized support groups:
- Support group for people who take Paxil and have Major Depression
- Support group for people who have Major Depression
- Support group for people who take Paxil
Can you answer these questions
- hello, i need some help. iam very confused most of the time..am i going to be ok? are my drug combos ok? what is wrong with me? am i bi polar or major depressed?
- Hello, my husband has a severe height issue and has severe anxiety attacks. He cannot look at heights looking up or down. He freezes up, gets dizzy, cries, shakes, gets nauseated, sweats, can't sleep, headaches and gets verbal meanly. His attacks are with every day life. It's like he over...
- been totally and suddenly cut off of my Xanax because the test every one of them said I had none in my system and I know this is absolutely not so I am very upset they gave me a new phyciatrist and when I went to meet her for the first time she didn't say high by yada yada yada she went right...
You may be interested in these posts
- I am a child sexual abuse survivor. I am an only child whose mother is still married to my abuser. My mother has many health problems and is also very involved with my ten year old daughter. I have three step children who are now adult, but I’ve been in their life since the youngest was 4....
- Hello everyone, this is my first group of any kind, especially for addiction. I’ve been feeling really nervous lately becaus I had a horrible infection from MRSA which I contribute to iv drug use. I spent 5 days in the hospital. Since I’ve been home, 3 days now, I have had a strong desire to be...
- Hello. I am a 50 yr old divorced female and feel more like an elderly person in that I tire quickly, have physical health problems, and àm alone in this world. I suffer from Clinical MDD, PTSD, Severe Panic Disorder, and Borderline Personality Disorder. All of which are tx resistant. I have...
- Hello, Has anyone experienced psychological affects from taking these 2 drugs together? My husband drinks beer and takes these 2 drugs along with a few other for high blood pressure. I have been noticing sever psychological abnormalities with him and I am trying to figure out why.
- I have taken 200 mcg synthroid for 30 years and a few months ago was lowered to 150 mcg .I also take 12.5 my paxil cr .I am now having anxiety ?
- Will you have Fluid Overload with Frova?
- Will you have Mvp with Caffeine?
- Will you have Systolic Click-Murmur Syndrome with Caffeine?
- Will you have Prolapsing Mitral Leaflet Syndrome with Caffeine?
- Will you have Myxomatous Mitral Valve with Caffeine?
Active Support Groups
- Support group for people who take Frova and have Fluid Overload?
- Support group for people who take Caffeine and have Mvp?
- Support group for people who take Caffeine and have Systolic Click-Murmur Syndrome?
- Support group for people who take Caffeine and have Prolapsing Mitral Leaflet Syndrome?
- Support group for people who take Caffeine and have Myxomatous Mitral Valve?
- What to expect when you take Frova and have Fluid Overload?
- What to expect when you take Caffeine and have Mvp?
- What to expect when you take Caffeine and have Systolic Click-Murmur Syndrome?
- What to expect when you take Caffeine and have Prolapsing Mitral Leaflet Syndrome?
- What to expect when you take Caffeine and have Myxomatous Mitral Valve?
- A study for a 42 year old man who takes Heparin, Cannabis
- A study for a 44 year old woman who takes Harvoni
- A study for a 40 year old man who takes Muse, Valsartan, Amlodipine, Methylin Er, Testosterone Cypionate, Oxycodone, Levitra, Nizoral, Ibu, Aspirin
- A study for a 45 year old man who takes Tambocor
- A study for a 76 year old man who takes Prednisolone, Candesartan Cilexetil
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.