Pegasys and Optic ischaemic neuropathy - a phase IV clinical study of FDA data
We study 57,196 people who have side effects when taking Pegasys. Optic ischaemic neuropathy is found, especially among people who are male, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take Ribavirin and have Anaemia.
The phase IV clinical study analyzes which people take Pegasys and have Optic ischaemic neuropathy. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports from the FDA, and is updated regularly. You may use the study as a second opinion to make health care decisions.
Phase IV trials are used to detect adverse drug outcomes and monitor drug effectiveness in the real world. With medical big data and AI algorithms, eHealthMe is running millions of phase IV trials and makes the results available to the public. Our original studies have been referenced on 700+ medical publications including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature.
57,196 people reported to have side effects when taking Pegasys.
Among them, 20 people (0.03%) have Optic ischaemic neuropathy.
What is Pegasys?
Pegasys has active ingredients of peginterferon alfa 2a. It is used in hepatitis c. Currently, eHealthMe is studying from 57,304 Pegasys users.
What is Optic ischaemic neuropathy?
Optic ischaemic neuropathy (optic nerve damage due to lack of blood supply) is found to be associated with 702 drugs and 453 conditions by eHealthMe. Currently, we are studying 3,452 people who have Optic ischaemic neuropathy.
Number of Pegasys and Optic ischaemic neuropathy reports submitted per year:
Time on Pegasys when people have Optic ischaemic neuropathy *:
- < 1 month: 0.0 %
- 1 - 6 months: 90 %
- 6 - 12 months: 0.0 %
- 1 - 2 years: 10 %
- 2 - 5 years: 0.0 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Optic ischaemic neuropathy when taking Pegasys *:
- female: 22.22 %
- male: 77.78 %
Age of people who have Optic ischaemic neuropathy when taking Pegasys *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 0.0 %
- 20-29: 0.0 %
- 30-39: 6.67 %
- 40-49: 20.0 %
- 50-59: 60.0 %
- 60+: 13.33 %
Common drugs people take besides Pegasys *:
- Ribavirin: 7 people, 35.00%
- Copegus: 6 people, 30.00%
- Wellbutrin: 1 person, 5.00%
- Ribasphere: 1 person, 5.00%
- Novolog: 1 person, 5.00%
- Insulin: 1 person, 5.00%
- Infergen: 1 person, 5.00%
- Incivek: 1 person, 5.00%
- Gabapentin: 1 person, 5.00%
- Aspirin: 1 person, 5.00%
Common side effects people have besides Optic ischaemic neuropathy *:
- Headache (pain in head): 4 people, 20.00%
- Fatigue (feeling of tiredness): 3 people, 15.00%
- White Blood Cell Count Decreased: 2 people, 10.00%
- Blindness Unilateral: 2 people, 10.00%
- Haemoglobin Decreased: 2 people, 10.00%
- Haematocrit Decreased: 2 people, 10.00%
- Body Temperature Increased: 2 people, 10.00%
- Retinal Haemorrhage (bleeding from retina): 2 people, 10.00%
- Breathing Difficulty: 2 people, 10.00%
- Thrombocytopenia (decrease of platelets in blood): 2 people, 10.00%
Common conditions people have *:
- Depression: 1 person, 5.00%
- Cough: 1 person, 5.00%
- Anaemia (lack of blood): 1 person, 5.00%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
Do you take Pegasys and have Optic ischaemic neuropathy?Check whether Optic ischaemic neuropathy is associated with a drug or a condition
How to use the study?
You can discuss the study with your doctor, to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Pegasys side effects by duration, gender and age:
- Pegasys side effects (57,304 reports)
Optic ischaemic neuropathy treatments and more:
- Optic ischaemic neuropathy (3,452 reports)
Common drugs associated with Optic ischaemic neuropathy:
- Viagra: 794 reports
- Aspirin: 207 reports
- Cialis: 164 reports
- Lipitor: 137 reports
- Prednisone: 135 reports
- Lisinopril: 106 reports
All the drugs that are associated with Optic ischaemic neuropathy:
- Optic ischaemic neuropathy (702 drugs)
Common conditions associated with Optic ischaemic neuropathy:
- Erection problems: 522 reports
- High blood pressure: 178 reports
- Atrial fibrillation/flutter: 148 reports
- Depression: 125 reports
All the conditions that are associated with Optic ischaemic neuropathy:
- Optic ischaemic neuropathy (453 conditions)
How the study uses the data?
The study uses data from the FDA. It is based on peginterferon alfa 2a (the active ingredients of Pegasys) and Pegasys (the brand name). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are not considered. Dosage of drugs is not considered in the study.
Who is eHealthMe?
With medical big data and proven AI algorithms, eHealthMe provides a platform for everyone to run phase IV clinical trials. We study millions of patients and 5,000 more each day. Results of our real-world drug study have been referenced on 700+ medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Our analysis results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients (testimonials), and software developers (open API).
WARNING, DISCLAIMER, USE FOR PUBLICATION
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only. Our phase IV clinical studies alone cannot establish cause-effect relationship. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Provigil and Thrombocytopenia - 3 seconds ago
- Renvela and Famotidine drug interaction - 6 seconds ago
- Exidine and Metaraminol Bitartrate drug interaction - 6 seconds ago
- Levonorgestrel And Ethinyl Estradiol and Sulfamethoxazole And Trimethoprim drug interaction - 7 seconds ago
- Doxycycline Hyclate and Bronchitis Chronic - 9 seconds ago
- Celebrex and Demerol drug interaction - 20 seconds ago
- Sevelamer Hydrochloride and Stools - Watery - 26 seconds ago
- Sevelamer Hydrochloride and Diarrhea - 26 seconds ago
- Heparin Lock Flush and Mouth Ulceration Aggravated - 32 seconds ago
- Cellcept and Flumazenil drug interaction - 33 seconds ago