Phenytoin sodium and Itching - a phase IV clinical study of FDA data
Itching is found among people who take Phenytoin sodium, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month.
The phase IV clinical study analyzes which people take Phenytoin sodium and have Itching. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 6,399 people who have side effects when taking Phenytoin sodium from the FDA, and is updated regularly. You can use the study as a second opinion to make health care decisions.
Phase IV trials are used to detect adverse drug outcomes and monitor drug effectiveness in the real world. With medical big data and AI algorithms, eHealthMe is running millions of phase IV trials and makes the results available to the public. Our original studies have been referenced on 600+ medical publications including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature.
6,399 people reported to have side effects when taking Phenytoin sodium.
Among them, 69 people (1.08%) have Itching.
What is Phenytoin sodium?
Phenytoin sodium has active ingredients of phenytoin sodium. It is often used in epilepsy. eHealthMe is studying from 6,545 Phenytoin sodium users for its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more.
What is Itching?
Itching is found to be associated with 4,468 drugs and 4,365 conditions by eHealthMe.
Number of Phenytoin sodium and Itching reports submitted per year:
Time on Phenytoin sodium when people have Itching *:
- < 1 month: 58.82 %
- 1 - 6 months: 35.29 %
- 6 - 12 months: 0.0 %
- 1 - 2 years: 5.88 %
- 2 - 5 years: 0.0 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Itching when taking Phenytoin sodium *:
- female: 71.43 %
- male: 28.57 %
Age of people who have Itching when taking Phenytoin sodium *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 9.76 %
- 20-29: 7.32 %
- 30-39: 2.44 %
- 40-49: 12.2 %
- 50-59: 12.2 %
- 60+: 56.1 %
Common drugs people take besides Phenytoin sodium *:
- Aredia: 15 people, 21.74%
- Aspirin: 15 people, 21.74%
- Protonix: 13 people, 18.84%
- Atenolol: 13 people, 18.84%
- Zometa: 13 people, 18.84%
- Diflucan: 10 people, 14.49%
- Effexor Xr: 10 people, 14.49%
- Celexa: 10 people, 14.49%
- Pantoprazole: 10 people, 14.49%
- Mirtazapine: 10 people, 14.49%
Common side effects people have besides Itching *:
- Rashes (redness): 37 people, 53.62%
- Pain: 22 people, 31.88%
- Fatigue (feeling of tiredness): 20 people, 28.99%
- Dizziness: 17 people, 24.64%
- Stress And Anxiety: 17 people, 24.64%
- Anhedonia (inability to experience pleasure from activities usually found enjoyable): 16 people, 23.19%
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (a condition in which stomach contents leak backward from the stomach into the oesophagus): 15 people, 21.74%
- Injury: 15 people, 21.74%
- Tooth Abscess (pus formation in tooth): 15 people, 21.74%
- Breathing Difficulty: 14 people, 20.29%
Common conditions people have *:
- Osteoporosis (bones weak and more likely to break): 10 people, 14.49%
- Paget's Disease (disorder that involves abnormal bone destruction and regrowth, which results in deformity): 5 people, 7.25%
- Glaucoma (increased fluid pressure in the eye with vision loss): 5 people, 7.25%
- Atrial Fibrillation/flutter (atrial fibrillation and flutter are abnormal heart rhythms in which the atria, or upper chambers of the heart, are out of sync with the ventricles): 3 people, 4.35%
- Convulsion (muscles contract and relax rapidly and repeatedly, resulting in an uncontrolled shaking of the body): 3 people, 4.35%
- High Blood Pressure: 3 people, 4.35%
- Hyperuricaemia (level of uric acid in the blood that is abnormally high): 2 people, 2.90%
- Productive Cough: 2 people, 2.90%
- Vaginal Mycosis (vaginal fungal infection): 1 person, 1.45%
- High Blood Cholesterol: 1 person, 1.45%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
Do you take Phenytoin sodium and have Itching?Check whether Itching is associated with a drug or a condition
How to use the study?
You can discuss the study with your doctor, to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Akasaka E, Kayo SJ, Nakano H, Ishii N, Hashimoto T, Sawamura D, "Diaminodiphenyl Sulfone-Induced Hemolytic Anemia and Alopecia in a Case of Linear IgA Bullous Dermatosis", Case reports in dermatology, 2014 Jan .
How severe was Itching and when was it recovered:
Expand to all the drugs that have ingredients of phenytoin sodium:
- Itching and drugs with ingredients of phenytoin sodium (533 reports)
Alternative drugs to, pros and cons of Phenytoin sodium:
- Phenytoin sodium (6,545 reports)
Common Phenytoin sodium side effects:
- Drug ineffective: 928 reports
- Seizures (abnormal excessive or synchronous neuronal activity in the brain): 386 reports
- Erythema multiforme (a type of hypersensitivity reaction): 263 reports
- Dizziness: 233 reports
- Rashes (redness): 224 reports
- Fever: 221 reports
- Epilepsy (common and diverse set of chronic neurological disorders characterized by seizures): 206 reports
Browse all side effects of Phenytoin sodium:a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Itching treatments and more:
- Itching (330,813 reports)
COVID vaccines that are related to Itching:
- Itching in Moderna COVID Vaccine
- Itching in Pfizer BioNTech Covid Vaccine
- Itching in Johnson and Johnson Covid Vaccine
Common drugs associated with Itching:
- Prednisone: 14,612 reports
- Aspirin: 12,993 reports
- Humira: 12,525 reports
- Methotrexate: 11,960 reports
- Enbrel: 11,906 reports
- Dupixent: 11,478 reports
- Adapalene: 11,476 reports
- Metformin: 7,611 reports
- Cosentyx: 7,536 reports
- Omeprazole: 7,534 reports
All the drugs that are associated with Itching:
- Itching (4,468 drugs)
Common conditions associated with Itching:
- Rheumatoid arthritis: 16,747 reports
- Psoriasis: 12,849 reports
- Multiple sclerosis: 12,545 reports
- High blood pressure: 11,848 reports
- High blood cholesterol: 9,972 reports
- Acne: 7,656 reports
All the conditions that are associated with Itching:
- Itching (4,365 conditions)
How the study uses the data?
The study uses data from the FDA. It is based on phenytoin sodium (the active ingredients of Phenytoin sodium) and Phenytoin sodium (the brand name). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are not considered. Dosage of drugs is not considered in the study.
Who is eHealthMe?
With medical big data and proven AI algorithms, eHealthMe provides a platform for everyone to run phase IV clinical trials. We study millions of patients and 5,000 more each day. Results of our real-world drug study have been referenced on 600+ medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Our analysis results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients (testimonials), and software developers (open API).
WARNING, DISCLAIMER, USE FOR PUBLICATION
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only. Our phase IV clinical studies alone cannot establish cause-effect relationship. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Azelastine Hydrochloride and Lecithin drug interaction - a second ago
- Actos and Multiple Drug Overdose Intentional - 6 seconds ago
- Konakion and Diverticulum Intestinal - 6 seconds ago
- Zyrtec and Ocular Vascular Disorder - 6 seconds ago
- Folic Acid and Adenomyosis - 7 seconds ago
- Indomethacin and Pleurisy - 7 seconds ago
- Bifido and Loss Of Consciousness - 13 seconds ago
- Codeine and Strabismus - 14 seconds ago
- Hexabrix and Hemianopia Homonymous - 19 seconds ago
- Apixaban and Jantoven drug interaction - 36 seconds ago