Phenytoin and Drug abuse - from FDA reports
Drug abuse is found among people who take Phenytoin, especially for people who are male, 40-49 old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Diazepam, and have Depression. This study is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 12,086 people who have side effects when taking Phenytoin from FDA, and is updated regularly.
How to use this study: bring a copy to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Who is eHealthMe: we are a data analysis company who specializes in health care industry. Our original studies have been referenced on 500+ peer-reviewed medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and EANO. On eHealthMe, you can research drugs and monitor them (see testimonials).
12,086 people reported to have side effects when taking Phenytoin.
Among them, 58 people (0.48%) have Drug abuse
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Phenytoin when people have Drug abuse *:
- < 1 month: 50 %
- 1 - 6 months: 50 %
- 6 - 12 months: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Drug abuse when taking Phenytoin *:
- female: 33.93 %
- male: 66.07 %
Age of people who have Drug abuse when taking Phenytoin *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 1.85 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Pain: 5 people, 8.62%
- Depression: 5 people, 8.62%
- Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma (spreadable kidney cell tumour): 4 people, 6.90%
- Metastases To Spine (cancer spreads to spine): 4 people, 6.90%
- Convulsion (muscles contract and relax rapidly and repeatedly, resulting in an uncontrolled shaking of the body): 4 people, 6.90%
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Diazepam: 12 people, 20.69%
- Fluoxetine: 11 people, 18.97%
- Alprazolam: 11 people, 18.97%
- Fentanyl: 10 people, 17.24%
- Oxycodone: 8 people, 13.79%
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Convulsion (muscles contract and relax rapidly and repeatedly, resulting in an uncontrolled shaking of the body): 10 people, 17.24%
- Cardiac Arrest: 9 people, 15.52%
- Completed Suicide (act of taking one's own life): 7 people, 12.07%
- Breathing - Slowed Or Stopped: 7 people, 12.07%
- Cardio-Respiratory Arrest (sudden dysfunction of heart and lungs): 6 people, 10.34%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
FDA reports used in this study
- Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Do you have Drug abuse while taking Phenytoin?
You are not alone:
Phenytoin has active ingredients of phenytoin. It is often used in epilepsy. (latest outcomes from Phenytoin 12,339 users)
Drug abuse has been reported by people with drug abuse and dependence, drug abuse, pain, depression (latest reports from 50,015 Drug abuse patients).
Drugs that are associated with Drug abuseDrug abuse (1,728 drugs)
Could your condition cause Drug abuseDrug abuse (1,277 conditions)
Phenytoin side effects
- Phenytoin side effects (12,093 reports)
Browse all side effects of Phenytoina b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Wandalkar P, Daswani BR, Pandit PT, Ghongane BB, "A case of Phenytoin toxicity", INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ADVANCES IN PHARMACY, BIOLOGY AND CHEMISTRY, 2014 Jan .
What would happen?
Recent general studies
- Will you have Metastatic Uterine Cancer with Carbamazepine? - a second ago
- Will you have Neutrophil Count Decreased with Arimidex? - 2 seconds ago
- Will you have Vaginal Erosion with Advair Diskus 100/50? - 3 seconds ago
- Olive Leaf and Prevacid Naprapac 250 drug interaction - 3 seconds ago
- Will you have Tmj Disorders with Mirapex? - 7 seconds ago
Recent personal studies
- A study for a 62 year old woman who takes Xarelto - 4 minutes ago
- A study for a 69 year old woman who takes Losartan, Gabapentin - 28 minutes ago
- A study for a 38 year old woman who takes Trileptal, Seroquel Xr, Effexor Xr - 43 minutes ago
- A study for a 41 year old man who takes Escitalopram, Vyvanse, Methadone Hydrochloride, Wellbutrin Xl - 44 minutes ago
- A study for a 58 year old woman who takes Pristiq - 49 minutes ago
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.