Propecia and Waterhouse-friederichsen syndrome - a phase IV clinical study of FDA data
Waterhouse-friederichsen syndrome is reported only by a few people who take Propecia.
The phase IV clinical study analyzes which people take Propecia and have Waterhouse-friederichsen syndrome. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 9,208 people who have side effects while taking Propecia from the FDA, and is updated regularly.
Phase IV trials are used to detect adverse drug outcomes and monitor drug effectiveness in the real world. With medical big data and AI algorithms, eHealthMe is running millions of phase IV trials and makes the results available to the public. Our original studies have been referenced on 600+ medical publications including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature.
9,208 people reported to have side effects when taking Propecia.
Among them, 1 person (0.01%) has Waterhouse-friederichsen syndrome.
What is Propecia?
Propecia has active ingredients of finasteride. It is often used in hair loss. eHealthMe is studying from 9,545 Propecia users for its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more.
What is Waterhouse-friederichsen syndrome?
Waterhouse-friederichsen syndrome (adrenal gland failure due to bleeding into the adrenal glands, caused by severe bacterial infection) is found to be associated with 9 drugs by eHealthMe.
Number of Propecia and Waterhouse-friederichsen syndrome reports submitted per year:
Gender of people who have Waterhouse-friederichsen syndrome when taking Propecia *:
- female: 0.0 %
- male: 100 %
Age of people who have Waterhouse-friederichsen syndrome when taking Propecia *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 0.0 %
- 20-29: 0.0 %
- 30-39: 100 %
- 40-49: 0.0 %
- 50-59: 0.0 %
- 60+: 0.0 %
Common drugs people take besides Propecia *:
- Zoloft: 1 person, 100.00%
- Tamiflu: 1 person, 100.00%
- Solu-Medrol: 1 person, 100.00%
- Pepcid: 1 person, 100.00%
- Benadryl: 1 person, 100.00%
Common side effects people have besides Waterhouse-friederichsen syndrome *:
- Thrombocytopenia (decrease of platelets in blood): 1 person, 100.00%
- Dry Mouth: 1 person, 100.00%
- Anaphylaxis (serious allergic reaction that is rapid in onset and may cause death): 1 person, 100.00%
- Bleeding Into The Skin: 1 person, 100.00%
- Blood Amylase Increased: 1 person, 100.00%
- Blood Creatinine Increased: 1 person, 100.00%
- Blood Urea Increased: 1 person, 100.00%
- Capillary Leak Syndrome (capillary leaks plasma): 1 person, 100.00%
- Cardiac Arrest: 1 person, 100.00%
- Chills (felling of cold): 1 person, 100.00%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
Do you take Propecia and have Waterhouse-friederichsen syndrome?Check whether Waterhouse-friederichsen syndrome is associated with a drug or a condition
How to use the study?
You can discuss the study with your doctor, to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Fouda AM, Bazeed AM, "Hematuria and Hematospermia Associated with the Use of Finasteride for the Treatment of Androgenic Alopecia: A Case Report", Drug Safety-Case Reports, 2017 Dec .
How severe was Waterhouse-friederichsen syndrome and when was it recovered:
Expand to all the drugs that have ingredients of finasteride:
Alternative drugs to, pros and cons of Propecia:
- Propecia (9,545 reports)
Common Propecia side effects:
- Erection problems: 4,143 reports
- Depression: 2,399 reports
- Stress and anxiety: 2,320 reports
- Fatigue (feeling of tiredness): 994 reports
Browse all side effects of Propecia:a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Waterhouse-friederichsen syndrome treatments and more:
- Waterhouse-friederichsen syndrome (4 reports)
COVID vaccines that are related to Waterhouse-friederichsen syndrome:
- Waterhouse-friederichsen syndrome in Moderna COVID Vaccine
- Waterhouse-friederichsen syndrome in Pfizer BioNTech Covid Vaccine
- Waterhouse-friederichsen syndrome in Johnson and Johnson Covid Vaccine
All the drugs that are associated with Waterhouse-friederichsen syndrome:
- Waterhouse-friederichsen syndrome (9 drugs)
All the conditions that are associated with Waterhouse-friederichsen syndrome:
How the study uses the data?
The study uses data from the FDA. It is based on finasteride (the active ingredients of Propecia) and Propecia (the brand name). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are not considered. Dosage of drugs is not considered in the study.
Who is eHealthMe?
With medical big data and proven AI algorithms, eHealthMe provides a platform for everyone to run phase IV clinical trials. We study millions of patients and 5,000 more each day. Results of our real-world drug study have been referenced on 600+ medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Our analysis results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients (testimonials), and software developers (open API).
WARNING, DISCLAIMER, USE FOR PUBLICATION
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only. Our phase IV clinical studies alone cannot establish cause-effect relationship. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Tikosyn and Tracheal Stenosis - now
- Constipation in Glimepiride, how severe and when it was recovered? - 8 seconds ago
- Joint Lock and drugs of ingredients of rocuronium bromide - 25 seconds ago
- Nucynta and Indocin drug interaction - 28 seconds ago
- Seebri and Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis - a minute ago
- Norflex and Rocephin drug interaction - a minute ago
- Cellcept and Emotional Distress - a minute ago
- Mytesi and Etravirine drug interaction - a minute ago
- Visicol and Niaspan drug interaction - a minute ago
- Pravastatin Sodium and Negative Thoughts - 2 minutes ago