Ritalin and Fibromyalgia - from FDA reports
Fibromyalgia is found among people who take Ritalin, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old , have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Percocet, and have Pain. This review analyzes which people have Fibromyalgia with Ritalin. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 16,196 people who have side effects when taking Ritalin from FDA , and is updated regularly.
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our original studies have been referenced on 400+ peer-reviewed medical publications, including: The Lancet, and Mayo Clinic Proceedings.
16,196 people reported to have side effects when taking Ritalin.
Among them, 94 people (0.58%) have Fibromyalgia
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Ritalin when people have Fibromyalgia *:
- < 1 month: 25 %
- 1 - 6 months: 0.0 %
- 6 - 12 months: 0.0 %
- 1 - 2 years: 0.0 %
- 2 - 5 years: 50 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 25 %
Gender of people who have Fibromyalgia when taking Ritalin *:
- female: 73.4 %
- male: 26.6 %
Age of people who have Fibromyalgia when taking Ritalin *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 1.6400000000000001 %
- 10-19: 1.6400000000000001 %
- 20-29: 8.2 %
- 30-39: 4.92 %
- 40-49: 36.07 %
- 50-59: 36.07 %
- 60+: 11.48 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Pain: 23 people, 24.47%
- Osteoporosis (bones weak and more likely to break): 14 people, 14.89%
- Cataplexy (loss of muscle tone accompanied by full conscious awareness): 12 people, 12.77%
- Multiple Myeloma (cancer of the plasma cells): 8 people, 8.51%
- Stress And Anxiety: 7 people, 7.45%
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Zoloft: 35 people, 37.23%
- Percocet: 35 people, 37.23%
- Xyrem: 26 people, 27.66%
- Provigil: 26 people, 27.66%
- Klonopin: 26 people, 27.66%
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Pain: 43 people, 45.74%
- Back Pain: 43 people, 45.74%
- Joint Pain: 35 people, 37.23%
- Weakness: 33 people, 35.11%
- Dizziness: 30 people, 31.91%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Do you take Ritalin and have Fibromyalgia?
- Check whether a drug or a condition causes Fibromyalgia
- Predict new side effects and undetected conditions
- Connect with people like you, or share your experience to help people like you
We suggest these affordable tests for self monitoring. You can order them and receive results on eHealthMe. No doctor referral or insurance necessary.
- Arthritis panel ($197.00) Add to cart
- Calcium, serum ($35.00) Add to cart
- Cbc (includes differential and platelets) ($32.00) Add to cart
- Parathyroid hormone (pth), intact ($65.00) Add to cart
Ritalin has active ingredients of methylphenidate hydrochloride. It is often used in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. (latest outcomes from Ritalin 18,721 users)
Fibromyalgia (a long-term condition which causes pain all over the body) has been reported by people with rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, osteoporosis, pain, depression (latest reports from 51,476 Fibromyalgia patients).
Drugs that are associated with FibromyalgiaFibromyalgia (1,817 drugs)
Could your condition cause FibromyalgiaFibromyalgia (1,368 conditions)
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsFibromyalgia and drugs with ingredients of methylphenidate hydrochloride. (132 reports)
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeFibromyalgia and Ritalin from FDA and eHealthMe reports (97 reports)
Ritalin side effects
- Ritalin side effects (16,205 reports)
Browse all side effects of Ritalina b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Yalcin O, Aslan AA, Sari BA, Turkbay T, "Possible methylphenidate related hoarseness and disturbances of voice quality: two pediatric cases", Klinik Psikofarmakoloji Bülteni-Bulletin of Clinical Psychopharmacology, 2012 Sep .
- Yektas Ç, Samurcu ND, Tufan AE, "Loss of Eyebrows (Madarosis) After Use of Long-Acting Methylphenidate: Case Report", Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, 2017 Aug .
- Coskun M, Adak I, "Excessive and frequent menstrual bleeding with methylphenidate in an adolescent girl with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder", Journal of clinical psychopharmacology, 2017 Oct .
- Coskun M, Adak I, Akaltun I, "Bilateral gynecomastia in a preadolescent boy while under treatment with methylphenidate and paroxetine", Journal of clinical psychopharmacology, 2014 Aug .
- Lufi D, Bucherman M, Akita M, Cohen R, Sibani C, "The effect of methylphenidate on speech patterns of children with attention deficit disorder", Journal of Behavioral Health, 2015 Jan .
- Ersoy MA, Ersoy HT, "Manic symptoms associated with isotretinoin and methylphenidate combination: a case report", Klinik Psikofarmakoloji Bülteni-Bulletin of Clinical Psychopharmacology, 2014 Sep .
Analysis tools (to study 684 million drug outcomes from FDA)
- Check symptoms - identify the cause of a symptom: from a drug or from a condition?
- Check drugs - find out common side effects or drug interactions of my drugs.
- Compare drugs - compare the side effects and efficacy of multiple drugs side by side.
What would happen?
You are not alone. Join our personalized support groups:
- Support group for people who take Ritalin and have Fibromyalgia
- Support group for people who have Fibromyalgia
- Support group for people who take Ritalin
Can you answer these questions
- Hi all, I have Fibromyalgia ,neuropathy and chronic migraines to start. So, to add to my medicine regamine my neurologist percribed me Lamotriginine. Well, finally something to help with my headaches, but the side effect after the first increase in amt week 2, unbearable Charlie horse pain...
- I am taking zonisamide for vestibular migraine and I have fibromyalgia . I have been taking it for 2 week . I still a little better but not much , my neuropathic pain and TMJ are worse . I was thinking to change to amitriptyline but not sure . My neurology said zonegran was better because I...
- Fibromyalgia and Acthar? Anyone have any feedback on this?? Thanks a ton
- Does anyone else get more red spots during a fibromyalgia flare? Or, when I have alot of nerve pain.
- Hi. I'm using 25mg fentenyl patches for fibromyalgia pain bur want to seriously lose some weight. Would it be safe to use garcinia combogia with the patches?
You may be interested in these posts
- Just realizing that my fibromyalgia may have been induced by repeated courses of Cipro for diverticulitis.
- I have had fibro for over 15 years as well as hernaited lower back and neck. I just need somewhere to go for the latest information and psychological support. Thank you all.
- I've recently been given a cautionary diagnosis of fibromyalgia. I would like to know more about how to live with fibromyalgia and what I can do for it.
- In 2015, I didn't need to be on any medicine. I was tired and weak more often without reason. In 2016, I had a heart attack. I was diagnosed with artery spasms (Spasm occurred during catheterization) and fibromyalgia within 3 months. I can't help but think they are related. And it is...
- Do you find you hurt worse when your platelet count is down?
- Will you have Vaginal Cancer Recurrent with Hydroxyurea?
- Lasix and Fluoxetine Hydrochloride drug interaction
- Creon and Zinc Sulfate drug interaction
- Will you have Iiird Nerve Injury with Metformin?
- Will you have Partial Seizures with Birth Control?
Active Support Groups
- Support group for people who take Hydroxyurea and have Vaginal Cancer Recurrent?
- Support group for people who take Lasix and Fluoxetine Hydrochloride
- Support group for people who take Creon and Zinc Sulfate
- Support group for people who take Metformin and have Iiird Nerve Injury?
- Support group for people who have Birth Control and Partial Seizures?
- What to expect when you take Hydroxyurea and have Vaginal Cancer Recurrent?
- What to expect when you take Lasix and Fluoxetine Hydrochloride
- What to expect when you take Creon and Zinc Sulfate
- What to expect when you take Metformin and have Iiird Nerve Injury?
- What to expect when you have Birth Control and Partial Seizures?
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.