Spironolactone and Hypothyroidism - from FDA reports
Hypothyroidism is found among people who take Spironolactone, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Furosemide, and have Cardiac failure. This review analyzes which people have Hypothyroidism with Spironolactone. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 47,108 people who have side effects when taking Spironolactone from FDA , and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Dec, 23, 2017
47,108 people reported to have side effects when taking Spironolactone.
Among them, 167 people (0.35%) have Hypothyroidism
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Spironolactone when people have Hypothyroidism *:
- < 1 month: 0.0 %
- 1 - 6 months: 55.56 %
- 6 - 12 months: 11.11 %
- 1 - 2 years: 22.22 %
- 2 - 5 years: 11.11 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Hypothyroidism when taking Spironolactone *:
- female: 71.43 %
- male: 28.57 %
Age of people who have Hypothyroidism when taking Spironolactone *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 0.0 %
- 20-29: 0.0 %
- 30-39: 1.52 %
- 40-49: 6.06 %
- 50-59: 14.39 %
- 60+: 78.03 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Cardiac Failure (11 people, 6.59%)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (10 people, 5.99%)
- Oedema (10 people, 5.99%)
- Metastases To Spine (9 people, 5.39%)
- Arrhythmias (9 people, 5.39%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Furosemide (46 people, 27.54%)
- Lasix (41 people, 24.55%)
- Aspirin (38 people, 22.75%)
- Digoxin (37 people, 22.16%)
- Levothyroxine Sodium (34 people, 20.36%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Dizziness (41 people, 24.55%)
- Weakness (39 people, 23.35%)
- Fatigue (35 people, 20.96%)
- Breathing Difficulty (34 people, 20.36%)
- Atrial Fibrillation/flutter (33 people, 19.76%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Do you have Hypothyroidism when taking Spironolactone?
- Check symptoms - is hypothyroidism caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- Ask a question - ask a question related to the study
- write a post - share your experience related to the study
- More tools...
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsHypothyroidism and drugs with ingredients of spironolactone.
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeHypothyroidism and Spironolactone from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Spironolactone has active ingredients of spironolactone. It is often used in acne. (latest outcomes from Spironolactone 49,299 users)
Hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, high blood pressure, hypothyroidism, osteopenia, depression (latest reports from 85,743 Hypothyroidism patients).
Browse all side effects of Spironolactonea b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with HypothyroidismHypothyroidism
Could your condition cause HypothyroidismHypothyroidism
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Ezeji GC, Inoue T, Bahtiyar G, Sacerdote A, "Hallucinations associated with miglitol use in a patient with chronic kidney disease and hypothyroidism", BMJ case reports, 2015 Feb .
What would happen?
Questions to the study
I have VA service connected disability for hypothyroidism caused by radiation therapy to treat vocal cord cancer 15 years ago. Residual of Vocal Cord cancer also service connected from exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam. 12 months ago I had Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion of 4 ...
User posts to the study
Hi. I am new to this group. I had to have both lobes of my thyroid removed many years ago. Of course was put on Synyroid for replacement and thought I would never feel well. Finally after years of tears and complaining I was put on Armour Thyroid and I really believe that I wouldn't be here if I ...
My name is Pandora, and I just received my test results showing my calcium to be 10.5. I take 200 mg of Spiro a day. I am very concerned after reading what can happen with high calcium levels...freaking out!!
Hi i am 37 and on spiro 150 mg ..on 2nd day had severe left testicle pain which spread to right and lower abdomen....ami alone unlucky ...or its common... if any related experience then please help how you coped....
I’ve been taking 150mg/day of Spironolactone to treat cystic acne for several years. I was recently in the hospital for an emergency (unrelated), and in the post op notes they mentioned I appear to have fatty liver disease. I am in excellent health, have always been a healthy eater, only a ...