Topiramate and Heartburn - from FDA reports
Heartburn is found among people who take Topiramate, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Vitamin D, and have Narcolepsy. This review analyzes which people have Heartburn with Topiramate. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 18,112 people who have side effects when taking Topiramate from FDA , and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Nov, 23, 2017
18,112 people reported to have side effects when taking Topiramate.
Among them, 90 people (0.5%) have Heartburn
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Topiramate when people have Heartburn *:
- < 1 month: 50 %
- 1 - 6 months: 20 %
- 6 - 12 months: 20 %
- 1 - 2 years: 0.0 %
- 2 - 5 years: 10 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Heartburn when taking Topiramate *:
- female: 73.81 %
- male: 26.19 %
Age of people who have Heartburn when taking Topiramate *:
- 0-1: 9.38 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 0.0 %
- 20-29: 4.69 %
- 30-39: 12.5 %
- 40-49: 12.5 %
- 50-59: 17.19 %
- 60+: 39.06 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Narcolepsy (9 people, 10.00%)
- Pain (8 people, 8.89%)
- Sleep Disorder (4 people, 4.44%)
- High Blood Pressure (4 people, 4.44%)
- Birth Control (4 people, 4.44%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Vitamin D (13 people, 14.44%)
- Xyrem (12 people, 13.33%)
- Nexium (12 people, 13.33%)
- Ambien (9 people, 10.00%)
- Biotin (7 people, 7.78%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Swallowing Difficulty (12 people, 13.33%)
- Oesophageal Obstruction (11 people, 12.22%)
- Neoplasm Malignant (11 people, 12.22%)
- Chest Pain (11 people, 12.22%)
- Fall (10 people, 11.11%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Do you have Heartburn when taking Topiramate?
- Check symptoms - is heartburn caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Join related support groups - you are not alone, join a support group on ehealth.me
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- Ask a question - ask a question related to the study
- write a review - share your experience related to the study
- More tools...
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsHeartburn and drugs with ingredients of topiramate.
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeHeartburn and Topiramate from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Topiramate has active ingredients of topiramate. It is often used in migraine. (latest outcomes from Topiramate 19,271 users)
Heartburn has been reported by people with osteoporosis, gastroesophageal reflux disease, high blood pressure (latest reports from 144,266 Heartburn patients).
Browse all side effects of Topiramatea b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with HeartburnHeartburn
Could your condition cause HeartburnHeartburn
What would happen?
Questions to the study
I was on Topiramate for 1 month. 1 week at 25mg, 3 weeks at 50mg. The stinging/tingling and exhaustion/weakness was more than I could bear. I was taking this for migraines. MD said to stop that medication and start a beta blocker. 7 days after stopping, I blacked out and fell. 10 days later, ...