Toprol-xl and Hypokalemia - a phase IV clinical study of FDA data
We study 38,273 people who have side effects when taking Toprol-xl. Hypokalemia is found, especially among people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take Aspirin and have Metastases to bone.
The phase IV clinical study analyzes which people take Toprol-xl and have Hypokalemia. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports from the FDA, and is updated regularly. You may use the study as a second opinion to make health care decisions.
Phase IV trials are used to detect adverse drug outcomes and monitor drug effectiveness in the real world. With medical big data and AI algorithms, eHealthMe is running millions of phase IV trials and makes the results available to the public. Our original studies have been referenced on 700+ medical publications including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature.
38,273 people reported to have side effects when taking Toprol-xl.
Among them, 396 people (1.03%) have Hypokalemia.
What is Toprol-xl?
Toprol-xl has active ingredients of metoprolol succinate. It is used in high blood pressure. Currently, eHealthMe is studying from 40,608 Toprol-xl users.
What is Hypokalemia?
Hypokalemia (low potassium) is found to be associated with 3,196 drugs and 2,996 conditions by eHealthMe. Currently, we are studying 68,500 people who have Hypokalemia.
Number of Toprol-xl and Hypokalemia reports submitted per year:
Time on Toprol-xl when people have Hypokalemia *:
Gender of people who have Hypokalemia when taking Toprol-xl*:
Age of people who have Hypokalemia when taking Toprol-xl *:
Common drugs people take besides Toprol-xl *:
Common side effects people have besides Hypokalemia *:
Common conditions people have *:
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
Do you take Toprol-xl and have Hypokalemia?Check whether Hypokalemia is associated with a drug or a condition
How to use the study?
You can discuss the study with your doctor, to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Izgi C, Erdem G, Mansuroglu D, Kurtoglu N, Kara M, Gunesdogdu F, "Severe hypokalemia probably associated with sertraline use", Annals of Pharmacotherapy, 2014 Jan .
Toprol-xl side effects by duration, gender and age:
- Toprol-xl side effects (40,608 reports)
Hypokalemia treatments and more:
- Hypokalemia (68,500 reports)
Common drugs associated with Hypokalemia:
- Furosemide: 4,185 reports
- Aspirin: 3,133 reports
- Prednisone: 3,068 reports
- Omeprazole: 3,045 reports
- Lasix: 2,888 reports
- Amlodipine: 2,857 reports
- Pantoprazole: 2,760 reports
- Zide: 2,637 reports
- Hydrochlorothiazide: 2,439 reports
- Dexamethasone: 1,913 reports
All the drugs that are associated with Hypokalemia:
- Hypokalemia (3,196 drugs)
Common conditions associated with Hypokalemia:
- High blood pressure: 6,896 reports
- Pain: 2,243 reports
- Depression: 1,940 reports
- Multiple myeloma: 1,692 reports
- Osteoporosis: 1,685 reports
All the conditions that are associated with Hypokalemia:
- Hypokalemia (2,996 conditions)
How the study uses the data?
The study uses data from the FDA. It is based on metoprolol succinate (the active ingredients of Toprol-xl) and Toprol-xl (the brand name). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are not considered. Dosage of drugs is not considered in the study.
Who is eHealthMe?
With medical big data and proven AI algorithms, eHealthMe provides a platform for everyone to run phase IV clinical trials. We study millions of patients and 5,000 more each day. Results of our real-world drug study have been referenced on 700+ medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Our analysis results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients (testimonials), and software developers (open API).
WARNING, DISCLAIMER, USE FOR PUBLICATION
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only. Our phase IV clinical studies alone cannot establish cause-effect relationship. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Eptifibatide and Reglan drug interaction - 4 seconds ago
- Zide and Azilsartan Medoxomil drug interaction - 11 seconds ago
- Boniva and Ribasphere drug interaction - 14 seconds ago
- Megestrol Acetate and Ligament Sprain - 14 seconds ago
- Olmesartan Medoxomil and Mobic drug interaction - 16 seconds ago
- Euthyrox and Mouth Ulcers - 20 seconds ago
- Timolol Maleate and Hair Color Changes - 21 seconds ago
- Cisplatin and Tumor Perforation - 21 seconds ago
- Ramipril and Stribild drug interaction - 21 seconds ago
- Candesartan Cilexetil and Weight Increased - 24 seconds ago