Zantac and Iron overload - a phase IV clinical study of FDA data
Iron overload is found among people who take Zantac, especially for people who are male, 60+ old.
The phase IV clinical study analyzes which people take Zantac and have Iron overload. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 365,012 people who have side effects when taking Zantac from the FDA, and is updated regularly. You can use the study as a second opinion to make health care decisions.
Phase IV trials are used to detect adverse drug outcomes and monitor drug effectiveness in the real world. With medical big data and AI algorithms, eHealthMe is running millions of phase IV trials and makes the results available to the public. Our original studies have been referenced on 600+ medical publications including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature.
365,012 people reported to have side effects when taking Zantac.
Among them, 8 people (0.0%) have Iron overload.
What is Zantac?
Zantac has active ingredients of ranitidine hydrochloride. It is often used in gastroesophageal reflux disease. eHealthMe is studying from 367,143 Zantac users for its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more.
What is Iron overload?
Iron overload is found to be associated with 540 drugs and 299 conditions by eHealthMe.
Number of Zantac and Iron overload reports submitted per year:
Gender of people who have Iron overload when taking Zantac *:
- female: 33.33 %
- male: 66.67 %
Age of people who have Iron overload when taking Zantac *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 0.0 %
- 20-29: 0.0 %
- 30-39: 0.0 %
- 40-49: 0.0 %
- 50-59: 0.0 %
- 60+: 100 %
Common drugs people take besides Zantac *:
- Lasix: 4 people, 50.00%
- Gabapentin: 3 people, 37.50%
- Nplate: 3 people, 37.50%
- Lorazepam: 3 people, 37.50%
- Percocet: 3 people, 37.50%
- Prilosec: 3 people, 37.50%
- Loratadine: 3 people, 37.50%
- Prochlorperazine: 3 people, 37.50%
- Lisinopril: 3 people, 37.50%
- Neupogen: 3 people, 37.50%
Common side effects people have besides Iron overload *:
- Anaemia (lack of blood): 4 people, 50.00%
- Cardiac Failure: 3 people, 37.50%
- Bronchitis (inflammation of the mucous membrane in the bronchial tubes): 3 people, 37.50%
- Respiratory Syncytial Virus Infection (viral disease of respiratory system): 3 people, 37.50%
- Drug Ineffective: 3 people, 37.50%
- Pneumonia: 3 people, 37.50%
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (a progressive disease that makes it hard to breathe): 3 people, 37.50%
- Lung Infiltration (a substance that normally includes fluid, inflammatory exudates or cells that fill a region of lung): 3 people, 37.50%
- Heavy Or Prolong Menstrual Bleeding: 2 people, 25.00%
- Fatigue (feeling of tiredness): 2 people, 25.00%
Common conditions people have *:
- Paroxysmal Nocturnal Haemoglobinuria (haemoglobin in the urine): 3 people, 37.50%
- Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (bleeding disorder in which the immune system destroys platelets, which are necessary for normal blood clotting): 3 people, 37.50%
- Bone Marrow Failure: 2 people, 25.00%
- Behcet's Syndrome (involves inflammation of the blood vessels): 2 people, 25.00%
- Primary Pulmonary Hypertension (primary high blood pressure that affects the arteries in the lungs and the right side of your heart): 1 person, 12.50%
- Primary Myelofibrosis (primary disorder of the bone marrow): 1 person, 12.50%
- Depression: 1 person, 12.50%
- Constipation: 1 person, 12.50%
- Candidiasis (candidiasis or thrush is a fungal infection): 1 person, 12.50%
- Birth Control: 1 person, 12.50%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
Do you take Zantac and have Iron overload?Check whether Iron overload is associated with a drug or a condition
How to use the study?
You can discuss the study with your doctor, to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
How severe was Iron overload and when was it recovered:
Expand to all the drugs that have ingredients of ranitidine hydrochloride:
Alternative drugs to, pros and cons of Zantac:
- Zantac (367,143 reports)
Common Zantac side effects:
Browse all side effects of Zantac:a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Iron overload treatments and more:
- Iron overload (10,333 reports)
COVID vaccines that are related to Iron overload:
- Iron overload in Moderna COVID Vaccine
- Iron overload in Pfizer BioNTech Covid Vaccine
- Iron overload in Johnson and Johnson Covid Vaccine
Common drugs associated with Iron overload:
All the drugs that are associated with Iron overload:
- Iron overload (540 drugs)
Common conditions associated with Iron overload:
- Paroxysmal nocturnal haemoglobinuria: 184 reports
All the conditions that are associated with Iron overload:
- Iron overload (299 conditions)
How the study uses the data?
The study uses data from the FDA. It is based on ranitidine hydrochloride (the active ingredients of Zantac) and Zantac (the brand name). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are not considered. Dosage of drugs is not considered in the study.
Who is eHealthMe?
With medical big data and proven AI algorithms, eHealthMe provides a platform for everyone to run phase IV clinical trials. We study millions of patients and 5,000 more each day. Results of our real-world drug study have been referenced on 600+ medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Our analysis results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients (testimonials), and software developers (open API).
WARNING, DISCLAIMER, USE FOR PUBLICATION
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only. Our phase IV clinical studies alone cannot establish cause-effect relationship. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Levothyroxine Sodium and Physical Assault - 2 seconds ago
- Aricept and Spinal Compression Fracture - 5 seconds ago
- Lyrica and Intestinal Polyp - 7 seconds ago
- Tegretol-Xr and Formoterol Fumarate drug interaction - 8 seconds ago
- Xarelto and Blister - 9 seconds ago
- Glyburide and Potassium drug interaction - 12 seconds ago
- Vitamin B12 and Ruptured Eardrum - 17 seconds ago
- Back Injury and drugs of ingredients of metoprolol succinate - 17 seconds ago
- Muse and Erection Increased (Exc Priapism) - 33 seconds ago
- Zoloft and Oxybutynin drug interaction - 36 seconds ago