Methotrexate and Diarrhoea (expanded source)
Diarrhoea is found among people who take Methotrexate, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Humira, and have Psoriatic arthropathy. This review analyzes which people have Diarrhoea with Methotrexate. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 234,104 people who have side effects when taking Methotrexate from FDA and eHealthme, and is updated regularly.
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our original studies have been referenced on 400+ peer-reviewed medical publications, including: The Lancet, and Mayo Clinic Proceedings.
234,104 people reported to have side effects when taking Methotrexate.
Among them, 6,841 people (2.92%) have Diarrhoea
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Methotrexate when people have Diarrhoea *:
- < 1 month: 38.98 %
- 1 - 6 months: 18.04 %
- 6 - 12 months: 8.26 %
- 1 - 2 years: 8.82 %
- 2 - 5 years: 12.53 %
- 5 - 10 years: 8.82 %
- 10+ years: 4.41 %
Gender of people who have Diarrhoea when taking Methotrexate *:
- female: 73.4 %
- male: 26.6 %
Age of people who have Diarrhoea when taking Methotrexate *:
- 0-1: 1.16 %
- 2-9: 4.19 %
- 10-19: 6.17 %
- 20-29: 3.89 %
- 30-39: 6.83 %
- 40-49: 13.87 %
- 50-59: 26.45 %
- 60+: 37.45 %
Severity of Diarrhoea *:
- least: 14.29 %
- moderate: 53.57 %
- severe: 21.43 %
- most severe: 10.71 %
How people recovered from Diarrhoea *:
- while on drug: 15 %
- after off the drug: 15 %
- not yet: 70 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Psoriatic Arthropathy (inflammation of the skin and joints with kin condition which typically causes patches (plaques) of red, scaly skin to develop): 527 people, 7.70%
- High Blood Pressure: 420 people, 6.14%
- Pain: 411 people, 6.01%
- Crohn's Disease (condition that causes inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract): 377 people, 5.51%
- Preventive Health Care: 281 people, 4.11%
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Humira: 1,473 people, 21.53%
- Enbrel: 1,300 people, 19.00%
- Folic Acid: 1,155 people, 16.88%
- Prednisone: 774 people, 11.31%
- Plaquenil: 563 people, 8.23%
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit): 1,897 people, 27.73%
- Nausea And Vomiting: 1,753 people, 25.62%
- Fever: 1,048 people, 15.32%
- Fatigue (feeling of tiredness): 1,014 people, 14.82%
- Abdominal Pain: 1,001 people, 14.63%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Do you take Methotrexate and have Diarrhoea?
- Check whether a drug or a condition causes Diarrhoea
- Predict new side effects and undetected conditions
- Share you experience to help people like you
We suggest these affordable tests for self monitoring. You can order them and receive results on eHealthMe. No doctor referral or insurance necessary.
- Cbc (includes differential and platelets) ($32.00) Add to cart
- Folate, rbc ($83.00) Add to cart
- Glucose, serum ($35.00) Add to cart
- Hcg (pregnancy) qualitative, serum (human chorionic gonadotropin) females only ($53.00) Add to cart
- Thyroid panel with tsh plus free t3 and free t4 ($99.00) Add to cart
- Urinalysis, complete with microscopic examination ($39.00) Add to cart
- Vitamin b12 ($47.00) Add to cart
Methotrexate has active ingredients of methotrexate sodium. It is often used in rheumatoid arthritis. (latest outcomes from Methotrexate 234,889 users)
Diarrhoea has been reported by people with high blood pressure, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, crohn's disease, pain (latest reports from 302,036 Diarrhoea patients).
Drugs that are associated with DiarrhoeaDiarrhoea (4,039 drugs)
Could your condition cause DiarrhoeaDiarrhoea (5,084 conditions)
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsDiarrhoea and drugs with ingredients of methotrexate sodium. (6,877 reports)
Limit the study to reports from FDA onlyDiarrhoea and Methotrexate from FDA reports (7,519 reports)
Methotrexate side effects
- Methotrexate side effects (231,412 reports)
Browse all side effects of Methotrexatea b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Henien M, Carey B, Hullah E, Sproat C, Patel V, "methotrexate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw: A report of two cases", Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, 2017 Dec .
Analysis tools (to study 684 million drug outcomes from FDA)
- Check symptoms - identify the cause of a symptom: from a drug or from a condition?
- Check drugs - find out common side effects or drug interactions of my drugs.
- Compare drugs - compare the side effects and efficacy of multiple drugs side by side.
What would happen?
You are not alone. Join our personalized support groups:
- Support group for people who take Methotrexate and have Diarrhoea
- Support group for people who have Diarrhoea
- Support group for people who take Methotrexate
Can you answer these questions
- while taking Plavix is there anything that can help with the diarrhea ?
- Any recommended drugs for people who experience diarrhoea while taking viagra?
- Diagnosed with Rhumatoid/Ostio Arthritis from Lyme Disease. My doctor switched me from Methotrexate pills to once weekly injection. Now I have difficulty walking very wobbly gait. Anyone else have these issues!
- I have been Hiprex for about 9 months with no problems and then about a month ago I started having diarrhea issues. Wondering how other folks treat this problem.
- does anyone know if you can just stop taking this drug ?
You may be interested in these posts
- I take both and it is sickness. I need some help to keep me going. Thank you
- Is there anything over the counter to take for diarrhea with Jardience? I'm only on day 3 of the drug and I can't leave the toilet! Thanks for your help.
- Hi all. I have been on this education for the last 8 months and have diaherea each time I take my shot. With that i have developed colitis and I have been. Suffering big time.tell me your story. My Dr does not believe i get the runs from the medication. I am getting to the point of punching...
- I was having diarrhea before starting Cymbalta and it has gotten worse through the months. I will have another colonoscopy. As soon as I eat, I am to the bathroom within 10-15 minutes. I am diagnosed with Crohn's. But the diarrhea I have starts soft, turns to mush, and then greasy/slimy clumps...
- Enjoying my Methotrexate weekly injections. I've had 4 so far. With this crazy weather I have more bad days then good. I want to believe this is the best treatment "Trust in your Doctor". Just seeing more changes happening rapidly with my body this past year. Had to quit my, 20 year,...
- Will you have Vaginal Fistula with Plaquenil?
- Will you have Femorocele with Augmentin?
- Will you have Enteromerocele with Augmentin?
- Will you have Crural Hernia with Augmentin?
- Will you have Femoral Hernia with Augmentin?
Active Support Groups
- Support group for people who take Plaquenil and have Vaginal Fistula?
- Support group for people who take Augmentin and have Femorocele?
- Support group for people who take Augmentin and have Enteromerocele?
- Support group for people who take Augmentin and have Crural Hernia?
- Support group for people who take Augmentin and have Femoral Hernia?
- What to expect when you take Plaquenil and have Vaginal Fistula?
- What to expect when you take Augmentin and have Femorocele?
- What to expect when you take Augmentin and have Enteromerocele?
- What to expect when you take Augmentin and have Crural Hernia?
- What to expect when you take Augmentin and have Femoral Hernia?
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.