5 htp vs. Modafinil: side effect and effectiveness comparison - a phase IV clinical study
We compare the side effects and drug effectiveness of 5 htp and Modafinil. The phase IV clinical study is created by eHealthMe based on reports (from sources including the FDA) of 41,309 people who take 5 htp and Modafinil, and is updated regularly. You can use the study as a second opinion to make health care decisions.
Phase IV trials are used to detect adverse drug outcomes and monitor drug effectiveness in the real world. With medical big data and AI algorithms, eHealthMe is running millions of phase IV trials and makes the results available to the public. Our original studies have been referenced on 600+ medical publications including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature.
41,309 people who take 5 htp and Modafinil are studied.
What is 5 htp?
5 htp has active ingredients of 5 - htp. It is often used in depression. eHealthMe is studying from 248 5 htp users for its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more.
What is Modafinil?
Modafinil has active ingredients of modafinil. It is often used in narcolepsy. eHealthMe is studying from 17,577 Modafinil users for its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more.
Number of reports submitted per year:
Drugs being compared in this study:
- 5 Htp (5 - htp)
- Modafinil (modafinil)
Most common side effects of the drugs, overall:
Most common side effects of the drugs, in long term (1+ years) use:
- not at all: 8.43 %
- somewhat: 27.71 %
- moderate: 40.96 %
- high: 13.86 %
- very high: 9.04 %
- not at all: 2.59 %
- somewhat: 17.54 %
- moderate: 33.46 %
- high: 32.56 %
- very high: 13.85 %
Want to compare 5 htp with Modafinil?Personalize this study to your gender and age (0-99+).
How to use the study?
You can discuss the study with your doctor, to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Lopes E, Pereira D, da Silva Behrens NS, de Almeida Fonseca H, Calvancanti PO, de Araújo Lima TF, Pradella-Hallinan M, Castro J, Tufik S, Coelho FM, "Cataplexy as a side effect of modafinil in a patient without narcolepsy", Sleep Science, 2014 Mar .
Alternative drugs to, pros and cons of:
Common Modafinil side effects:
- Fatigue (feeling of tiredness): 1,589 reports
- Stress and anxiety: 1,140 reports
- Headache (pain in head): 1,106 reports
- High blood pressure: 1,101 reports
- Depression: 1,049 reports
- Drug ineffective: 1,000 reports
- Dizziness: 897 reports
- Drowsiness: 887 reports
Browse all side effects of Modafinil:a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
How the study uses the data?
The study is based on 5 - htp and modafinil (the active ingredients of 5 htp and Modafinil, respectively). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs or brand names) are also considered. Dosage of drugs is not considered in the study.
Who is eHealthMe?
With medical big data and proven AI algorithms, eHealthMe provides a platform for everyone to run phase IV clinical trials. We study millions of patients and 5,000 more each day. Results of our real-world drug study have been referenced on 600+ medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Our analysis results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients (testimonials), and software developers (open API).
WARNING, DISCLAIMER, USE FOR PUBLICATION
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only. Our phase IV clinical studies alone cannot establish cause-effect relationship. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Clorazepate Dipotassium and Urinary Bladder Haemorrhage - 14 seconds ago
- Amphotericin B and Pulmonary Necrosis - 14 seconds ago
- Amlodipine and Cataract Removal - 24 seconds ago
- Elavil and Trazodone Hydrochloride drug interaction - 24 seconds ago
- Clonazepam and Adrenal Cyst - 25 seconds ago
- L-Phenylalanine and Libido Increased - 32 seconds ago
- Abilify and Bethkis drug interaction - 45 seconds ago
- Taxotere and Lotensin drug interaction - 49 seconds ago
- Clomid and Diclofenac Sodium drug interaction - 52 seconds ago
- Celexa and Thyrogen drug interaction - 59 seconds ago