5 htp vs. Ritalin la: side effect and effectiveness comparison - a phase IV clinical study
We compare the side effects and drug effectiveness of 5 htp and Ritalin la. The phase IV clinical study is created by eHealthMe based on reports (from sources including the FDA) of 65,790 people who take 5 htp and Ritalin la, and is updated regularly. You can use the study as a second opinion to make health care decisions.
Phase IV trials are used to detect adverse drug outcomes and monitor drug effectiveness in the real world. With medical big data and AI algorithms, eHealthMe is running millions of phase IV trials and makes the results available to the public. Our original studies have been referenced on 600+ medical publications including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature.
65,790 people who take 5 htp and Ritalin la are studied.
What is 5 htp?
5 htp has active ingredients of 5 - htp. It is often used in depression. eHealthMe is studying from 244 5 htp users for its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more.
What is Ritalin la?
Ritalin la has active ingredients of methylphenidate hydrochloride. It is often used in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. eHealthMe is studying from 2,338 Ritalin la users for its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more.
Number of reports submitted per year:
Drugs being compared in this study:
- 5 Htp (5 - htp)
- Ritalin La (methylphenidate hydrochloride)
Most common side effects of the drugs, overall:
Most common side effects of the drugs, in long term (1+ years) use:
- not at all: 8.59 %
- somewhat: 27.61 %
- moderate: 41.1 %
- high: 13.5 %
- very high: 9.2 %
- not at all: 1.94 %
- somewhat: 15.45 %
- moderate: 36.1 %
- high: 34.91 %
- very high: 11.6 %
Want to compare 5 htp with Ritalin la?Personalize this study to your gender and age (0-99+).
How to use the study?
You can discuss the study with your doctor, to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Coskun M, Adak I, "Excessive and frequent menstrual bleeding with methylphenidate in an adolescent girl with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder", Journal of clinical psychopharmacology, 2017 Oct .
- Yektas ?, Samurcu ND, Tufan AE, "Loss of Eyebrows (Madarosis) After Use of Long-Acting Methylphenidate: Case Report", Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, 2017 Aug .
- Ersoy MA, Ersoy HT, "Manic symptoms associated with isotretinoin and methylphenidate combination: a case report", Klinik Psikofarmakoloji Bülteni-Bulletin of Clinical Psychopharmacology, 2014 Sep .
- Coskun M, Adak I, Akaltun I, "Bilateral gynecomastia in a preadolescent boy while under treatment with methylphenidate and paroxetine", Journal of clinical psychopharmacology, 2014 Aug .
- Adak, I., & Coskun, M. , "Symptomatic cholelithiasis associated with combined use of methylphenidate and fluoxetine in an otherwise healthy adolescent girl", Psychiatry and Clinical Psychopharmacology, 2014 Jan .
- Coskun, M., & Adak, I. , "Excessive and frequent menstrual bleeding with methylphenidate in an adolescent girl with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder", Journal of clinical psychopharmacology, 2014 Jan .
- Yalcin O, Aslan AA, Sari BA, Turkbay T, "Possible methylphenidate related hoarseness and disturbances of voice quality: two pediatric cases", Klinik Psikofarmakoloji Bülteni-Bulletin of Clinical Psychopharmacology, 2012 Sep .
- Lufi D, Bucherman M, Akita M, Cohen R, Sibani C, "The effect of methylphenidate on speech patterns of children with attention deficit disorder", Journal of Behavioral Health, 2012 Jan .
Alternative drugs to, pros and cons of:
- 5 htp (87 reports)
- Ritalin la (2,039 reports)
Common Ritalin la side effects:
- Drug ineffective: 220 reports
- Headache (pain in head): 158 reports
- Depression: 131 reports
- Agitation (state of anxiety or nervous excitement): 127 reports
- Fatigue (feeling of tiredness): 104 reports
- Drowsiness: 103 reports
Browse all side effects of Ritalin la:a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
How the study uses the data?
The study is based on 5 - htp and methylphenidate hydrochloride (the active ingredients of 5 htp and Ritalin la, respectively). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs or brand names) are also considered. Dosage of drugs is not considered in the study.
Who is eHealthMe?
With medical big data and proven AI algorithms, eHealthMe provides a platform for everyone to run phase IV clinical trials. We study millions of patients and 5,000 more each day. Results of our real-world drug study have been referenced on 600+ medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Our analysis results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients (testimonials), and software developers (open API).
WARNING, DISCLAIMER, USE FOR PUBLICATION
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only. Our phase IV clinical studies alone cannot establish cause-effect relationship. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Heart Palpitations and drugs of ingredients of doxylamine succinate - 9 seconds ago
- Meticorten and Profen drug interaction - 22 seconds ago
- Xanax and Hypokalemia - 23 seconds ago
- Nurtec Odt and Ocrevus drug interaction - 26 seconds ago
- Matulane and Vitamin B12 drug interaction - 32 seconds ago
- Senna and Azithromycin drug interaction - 50 seconds ago
- Dexamethasone Sodium Phosphate and Hiatal Hernia - a minute ago
- Promethazine and Eptifibatide drug interaction - a minute ago
- Propofol and Rashes - a minute ago
- Nifedipine vs. Lotensin Hct - a minute ago