Soma vs. Vioxx: side effect and effectiveness comparison - a phase IV clinical study
We compare the side effects and drug effectiveness of Soma and Vioxx. The phase IV clinical study is created by eHealthMe based on reports (from sources including the FDA) of 132,768 people who take Soma and Vioxx, and is updated regularly. You can use the study as a second opinion to make health care decisions.
Phase IV trials are used to detect adverse drug outcomes and monitor drug effectiveness in the real world. With medical big data and AI algorithms, eHealthMe is running millions of phase IV trials and makes the results available to the public. Our original studies have been referenced on 600+ medical publications including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature.
132,768 people who take Soma and Vioxx are studied.
What is Soma?
Soma has active ingredients of carisoprodol. It is often used in muscle spasms. eHealthMe is studying from 16,756 Soma users for its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more.
What is Vioxx?
Vioxx has active ingredients of rofecoxib. It is often used in arthritis. eHealthMe is studying from 109,849 Vioxx users for its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more.
Number of reports submitted per year:
Drugs being compared in this study:
- Soma (carisoprodol)
- Vioxx (rofecoxib)
Most common side effects of the drugs, overall:
Most common side effects of the drugs, in long term (1+ years) use:
- not at all: 1.31 %
- somewhat: 20.99 %
- moderate: 39.36 %
- high: 25.4 %
- very high: 12.93 %
- not at all: 4.76 %
- somewhat: 19.05 %
- moderate: 38.1 %
- high: 33.33 %
- very high: 4.76 %
Want to compare Soma with Vioxx?Personalize this study to your gender and age (0-99+).
How to use the study?
You can discuss the study with your doctor, to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Alternative drugs to, pros and cons of:
Common Soma side effects:
- Pain: 2,069 reports
- Stress and anxiety: 1,521 reports
- Drug ineffective: 1,397 reports
- Headache (pain in head): 1,381 reports
- Depression: 1,299 reports
- Fatigue (feeling of tiredness): 1,244 reports
Browse all side effects of Soma:a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Common Vioxx side effects:
- Heart attack: 33,541 reports
- Stroke (sudden death of a portion of the brain cells due to a lack of oxygen): 24,347 reports
- High blood pressure: 13,955 reports
- Chest pain: 11,792 reports
- Coronary heart disease (narrowing or blockage of the coronary arteries): 8,606 reports
- Depression: 7,964 reports
Browse all side effects of Vioxx:a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
How the study uses the data?
The study is based on carisoprodol and rofecoxib (the active ingredients of Soma and Vioxx, respectively). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs or brand names) are also considered. Dosage of drugs is not considered in the study.
Who is eHealthMe?
With medical big data and proven AI algorithms, eHealthMe provides a platform for everyone to run phase IV clinical trials. We study millions of patients and 5,000 more each day. Results of our real-world drug study have been referenced on 600+ medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Our analysis results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients (testimonials), and software developers (open API).
WARNING, DISCLAIMER, USE FOR PUBLICATION
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only. Our phase IV clinical studies alone cannot establish cause-effect relationship. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Buscopan and Xanax drug interaction - now
- Voltaren and Melatonin drug interaction - 6 seconds ago
- Plavix and Depakote drug interaction - 7 seconds ago
- Livalo and Imatinib Mesylate drug interaction - 7 seconds ago
- Verelan Pm and Trazodone Hydrochloride drug interaction - 7 seconds ago
- Leflunomide and Meningioma Benign - 7 seconds ago
- Aldactone and N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine drug interaction - 44 seconds ago
- Anaprox and Hot Flushes Aggravated - 58 seconds ago
- Antioxidant Therapy and Asthma - a minute ago
- Palbociclib and Osteoarthritis - a minute ago