Topamax vs. 5 htp: side effect and effectiveness comparison - a phase IV clinical study
We compare the side effects and drug effectiveness of Topamax and 5 htp. The phase IV clinical study is created by eHealthMe based on reports (from sources including the FDA) of 97,282 people who take Topamax and 5 htp, and is updated regularly. You can use the study as a second opinion to make health care decisions.
Phase IV trials are used to detect adverse drug outcomes and monitor drug effectiveness in the real world. With medical big data and AI algorithms, eHealthMe is running millions of phase IV trials and makes the results available to the public. Our original studies have been referenced on 600+ medical publications including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature.
97,282 people who take Topamax and 5 htp are studied.
What is Topamax?
Topamax has active ingredients of topiramate. It is often used in migraine. eHealthMe is studying from 55,097 Topamax users for its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more.
What is 5 htp?
5 htp has active ingredients of 5 - htp. It is often used in depression. eHealthMe is studying from 248 5 htp users for its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more.
Number of reports submitted per year:
Drugs being compared in this study:
- 5 Htp (5 - htp)
- Topamax (topiramate)
Most common side effects of the drugs, overall:
Most common side effects of the drugs, in long term (1+ years) use:
- not at all: 4.32 %
- somewhat: 20.91 %
- moderate: 32.29 %
- high: 29.15 %
- very high: 13.32 %
- not at all: 8.54 %
- somewhat: 28.05 %
- moderate: 40.85 %
- high: 13.41 %
- very high: 9.15 %
Want to compare Topamax with 5 htp?Personalize this study to your gender and age (0-99+).
How to use the study?
You can discuss the study with your doctor, to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Baloch M, Siddiqui MA, "Topiramate induced sudden loss of vision", JPMA, 2012 Oct .
- Kocamaz, M., & Karadag, O., "Topiramate-Induced Acute Myopia, Diplopia, and Photosensitivity: A Case Report", Beyoglu Eye Journal, 2019 Jan .
Alternative drugs to, pros and cons of:
Common Topamax side effects:
- Drug ineffective: 3,806 reports
- Headache (pain in head): 3,666 reports
- Fatigue (feeling of tiredness): 3,199 reports
- Pain: 2,913 reports
- Stress and anxiety: 2,584 reports
- Dizziness: 2,506 reports
- Depression: 2,351 reports
Browse all side effects of Topamax:a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
How the study uses the data?
The study is based on topiramate and 5 - htp (the active ingredients of Topamax and 5 htp, respectively). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs or brand names) are also considered. Dosage of drugs is not considered in the study.
Who is eHealthMe?
With medical big data and proven AI algorithms, eHealthMe provides a platform for everyone to run phase IV clinical trials. We study millions of patients and 5,000 more each day. Results of our real-world drug study have been referenced on 600+ medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Our analysis results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients (testimonials), and software developers (open API).
WARNING, DISCLAIMER, USE FOR PUBLICATION
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only. Our phase IV clinical studies alone cannot establish cause-effect relationship. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Intron A and Bruxism - 5 seconds ago
- How effective is Trazodone Hydrochloride for Depression? - 7 seconds ago
- Muscle Relaxant Therapy and Gastric Ulcer - 9 seconds ago
- How effective is Pantoprazole Sodium for Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease? - 13 seconds ago
- Multiple Myeloma and Tendon Calcification - 13 seconds ago
- Abraxane and Hepatocellular Carcinoma - 14 seconds ago
- Hypothalamo-Pituitary Disorder and Pituitary Tumor Recurrent - 18 seconds ago
- Osteopenia and Athlete'S Foot - 19 seconds ago
- Ranexa and Ambrisentan drug interaction - 21 seconds ago
- Vitamin B3 and Pain Of Skin - 22 seconds ago