Xanax vs. Ritalin: side effect and effectiveness comparison - a phase IV clinical study
We compare the side effects and drug effectiveness of Xanax and Ritalin. The phase IV clinical study is created by eHealthMe based on reports (from sources including the FDA) of 304,515 people who take Xanax and Ritalin, and is updated regularly. You can use the study as a second opinion to make health care decisions.
Phase IV trials are used to detect adverse drug outcomes and monitor drug effectiveness in the real world. With medical big data and AI algorithms, eHealthMe is running millions of phase IV trials and makes the results available to the public. Our original studies have been referenced on 600+ medical publications including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature.
304,515 people who take Xanax and Ritalin are studied.
What is Xanax?
Xanax has active ingredients of alprazolam. It is often used in stress and anxiety. eHealthMe is studying from 128,112 Xanax users for its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more.
What is Ritalin?
Ritalin has active ingredients of methylphenidate hydrochloride. It is often used in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. eHealthMe is studying from 27,290 Ritalin users for its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more.
Number of reports submitted per year:
Drugs being compared in this study:
- Ritalin (methylphenidate hydrochloride)
- Xanax (alprazolam)
Most common side effects of the drugs, overall:
Most common side effects of the drugs, in long term (1+ years) use:
- not at all: 1.48 %
- somewhat: 14.72 %
- moderate: 31.88 %
- high: 34.2 %
- very high: 17.72 %
- not at all: 2.08 %
- somewhat: 15.3 %
- moderate: 36.36 %
- high: 34.12 %
- very high: 12.14 %
Want to compare Xanax with Ritalin?Personalize this study to your gender and age (0-99+).
How to use the study?
You can discuss the study with your doctor, to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Coskun M, Adak I, "Excessive and frequent menstrual bleeding with methylphenidate in an adolescent girl with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder", Journal of clinical psychopharmacology, 2017 Oct .
- Yektas ?, Samurcu ND, Tufan AE, "Loss of Eyebrows (Madarosis) After Use of Long-Acting Methylphenidate: Case Report", Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, 2017 Aug .
- Ersoy MA, Ersoy HT, "Manic symptoms associated with isotretinoin and methylphenidate combination: a case report", Klinik Psikofarmakoloji Bülteni-Bulletin of Clinical Psychopharmacology, 2014 Sep .
- Coskun M, Adak I, Akaltun I, "Bilateral gynecomastia in a preadolescent boy while under treatment with methylphenidate and paroxetine", Journal of clinical psychopharmacology, 2014 Aug .
- Adak, I., & Coskun, M. , "Symptomatic cholelithiasis associated with combined use of methylphenidate and fluoxetine in an otherwise healthy adolescent girl", Psychiatry and Clinical Psychopharmacology, 2014 Jan .
- Coskun, M., & Adak, I. , "Excessive and frequent menstrual bleeding with methylphenidate in an adolescent girl with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder", Journal of clinical psychopharmacology, 2014 Jan .
- Yalcin O, Aslan AA, Sari BA, Turkbay T, "Possible methylphenidate related hoarseness and disturbances of voice quality: two pediatric cases", Klinik Psikofarmakoloji Bülteni-Bulletin of Clinical Psychopharmacology, 2012 Sep .
- Lufi D, Bucherman M, Akita M, Cohen R, Sibani C, "The effect of methylphenidate on speech patterns of children with attention deficit disorder", Journal of Behavioral Health, 2012 Jan .
Alternative drugs to, pros and cons of:
Common Xanax side effects:
- Stress and anxiety: 10,999 reports
- Fatigue (feeling of tiredness): 10,095 reports
- Pain: 9,295 reports
- Drug ineffective: 8,724 reports
- Headache (pain in head): 8,331 reports
- Depression: 7,609 reports
- Weakness: 7,485 reports
Browse all side effects of Xanax:a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Common Ritalin side effects:
- Fatigue (feeling of tiredness): 2,049 reports
- Stress and anxiety: 1,833 reports
- Drug ineffective: 1,827 reports
- Depression: 1,737 reports
- Headache (pain in head): 1,473 reports
- High blood pressure: 1,296 reports
Browse all side effects of Ritalin:a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
How the study uses the data?
The study is based on alprazolam and methylphenidate hydrochloride (the active ingredients of Xanax and Ritalin, respectively). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs or brand names) are also considered. Dosage of drugs is not considered in the study.
Who is eHealthMe?
With medical big data and proven AI algorithms, eHealthMe provides a platform for everyone to run phase IV clinical trials. We study millions of patients and 5,000 more each day. Results of our real-world drug study have been referenced on 600+ medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Our analysis results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients (testimonials), and software developers (open API).
WARNING, DISCLAIMER, USE FOR PUBLICATION
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only. Our phase IV clinical studies alone cannot establish cause-effect relationship. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Zithromax vs. Cefprozil - 15 seconds ago
- Zestoretic vs. Aspirin And Dipyridamole - 16 seconds ago
- Revlimid and Respiratory Distress - 20 seconds ago
- Skin Oedema and pfizer biontech covid vaccine - 24 seconds ago
- Revatio and Respiratory Distress - 24 seconds ago
- Amlodipine and Streptococcal Infection - 26 seconds ago
- Benadryl and Respiratory Distress - 27 seconds ago
- Mavik vs. Omeprazole - 32 seconds ago
- Olmesartan Medoxomil vs. Monopril-Hct - 34 seconds ago
- Propofol and Respiratory Distress - 35 seconds ago