Aleve and Hyperthyroidism - a phase IV clinical study of FDA data
We study 66,583 people who have side effects when taking Aleve. Hyperthyroidism is found, especially among people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 5 - 10 years, also take Promacta and have Atrial fibrillation/flutter.
The phase IV clinical study analyzes which people take Aleve and have Hyperthyroidism. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports from the FDA, and is updated regularly. You may use the study as a second opinion to make health care decisions.
Phase IV trials are used to detect adverse drug outcomes and monitor drug effectiveness in the real world. With medical big data and AI algorithms, eHealthMe is running millions of phase IV trials and makes the results available to the public. Our original studies have been referenced on 700+ medical publications including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature.
66,583 people reported to have side effects when taking Aleve.
Among them, 19 people (0.03%) have Hyperthyroidism.
What is Aleve?
Aleve has active ingredients of naproxen sodium. It is used in pain. Currently, eHealthMe is studying from 68,628 Aleve users.
What is Hyperthyroidism?
Hyperthyroidism (over activity of the thyroid gland) is found to be associated with 2,057 drugs and 1,362 conditions by eHealthMe. Currently, we are studying 25,306 people who have Hyperthyroidism.
Number of Aleve and Hyperthyroidism reports submitted per year:
Time on Aleve when people have Hyperthyroidism *:
- < 1 month: 0.0 %
- 1 - 6 months: 0.0 %
- 6 - 12 months: 0.0 %
- 1 - 2 years: 0.0 %
- 2 - 5 years: 0.0 %
- 5 - 10 years: 100 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Hyperthyroidism when taking Aleve *:
- female: 83.33 %
- male: 16.67 %
Age of people who have Hyperthyroidism when taking Aleve *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 0.0 %
- 20-29: 0.0 %
- 30-39: 16.67 %
- 40-49: 8.33 %
- 50-59: 0.0 %
- 60+: 75.0 %
Common drugs people take besides Aleve *:
- Advair Hfa: 3 people, 15.79%
- Combivent Respimat: 3 people, 15.79%
- Tylenol: 3 people, 15.79%
- Promacta: 3 people, 15.79%
- Colace: 2 people, 10.53%
- Celexa: 2 people, 10.53%
- Cosentyx: 2 people, 10.53%
- Cymbalta: 2 people, 10.53%
- Remicade: 2 people, 10.53%
- Celebrex: 2 people, 10.53%
Common side effects people have besides Hyperthyroidism *:
- High Blood Pressure: 6 people, 31.58%
- Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit): 5 people, 26.32%
- Nausea And Vomiting: 5 people, 26.32%
- Atrial Fibrillation/flutter (atrial fibrillation and flutter are abnormal heart rhythms in which the atria, or upper chambers of the heart, are out of sync with the ventricles): 5 people, 26.32%
- Breathing Difficulty: 4 people, 21.05%
- Weight Increased: 3 people, 15.79%
- Stroke (sudden death of a portion of the brain cells due to a lack of oxygen): 3 people, 15.79%
- Hyperhidrosis (abnormally increased sweating): 3 people, 15.79%
- Osteoarthritis (a joint disease caused by cartilage loss in a joint): 3 people, 15.79%
- Drug Ineffective: 3 people, 15.79%
Common conditions people have *:
- Atrial Fibrillation/flutter (atrial fibrillation and flutter are abnormal heart rhythms in which the atria, or upper chambers of the heart, are out of sync with the ventricles): 4 people, 21.05%
- Thrombocytopenia (decrease of platelets in blood): 3 people, 15.79%
- Hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development): 3 people, 15.79%
- High Blood Pressure: 2 people, 10.53%
- Colon Cancer Stage Iv: 2 people, 10.53%
- Insomnia (sleeplessness): 2 people, 10.53%
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (a condition in which stomach contents leak backward from the stomach into the oesophagus): 2 people, 10.53%
- Psoriatic Arthropathy (inflammation of the skin and joints with kin condition which typically causes patches (plaques) of red, scaly skin to develop): 2 people, 10.53%
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (nerve compression at wrist results numbness weakness, pain , swelling): 1 person, 5.26%
- Cataplexy (loss of muscle tone accompanied by full conscious awareness): 1 person, 5.26%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
Do you take Aleve and have Hyperthyroidism?Check whether Hyperthyroidism is associated with a drug or a condition
How to use the study?
You can discuss the study with your doctor, to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Dulani S, Dulani R, Lele S, Diagavane S, Anjankar S, Jaiswal N, Subramaniam PS, Juneja R, "Chronic Subdural Haematoma in a Case of Hyperthyroidism Presenting with Papilledema", Chinese Medicine, 2012 Dec .
Aleve side effects by duration, gender and age:
- Aleve side effects (68,628 reports)
Hyperthyroidism treatments and more:
- Hyperthyroidism (25,306 reports)
Common drugs associated with Hyperthyroidism:
- Novothyrox: 774 reports
- Synthroid: 651 reports
- Cordarone: 541 reports
- Prednisone: 540 reports
- Aspirin: 535 reports
- Furosemide: 492 reports
- Metformin: 485 reports
- Levothyroxine sodium: 478 reports
- Amlodipine: 434 reports
- Omeprazole: 410 reports
All the drugs that are associated with Hyperthyroidism:
- Hyperthyroidism (2,057 drugs)
Common conditions associated with Hyperthyroidism:
- Atrial fibrillation/flutter: 1,014 reports
- High blood pressure: 845 reports
- Hypothyroidism: 799 reports
- Multiple sclerosis: 678 reports
All the conditions that are associated with Hyperthyroidism:
- Hyperthyroidism (1,362 conditions)
How the study uses the data?
The study uses data from the FDA. It is based on naproxen sodium (the active ingredients of Aleve) and Aleve (the brand name). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are not considered. Dosage of drugs is not considered in the study.
Who is eHealthMe?
With medical big data and proven AI algorithms, eHealthMe provides a platform for everyone to run phase IV clinical trials. We study millions of patients and 5,000 more each day. Results of our real-world drug study have been referenced on 700+ medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Our analysis results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients (testimonials), and software developers (open API).
WARNING, DISCLAIMER, USE FOR PUBLICATION
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only. Our phase IV clinical studies alone cannot establish cause-effect relationship. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Benlysta and Toothaches - 2 seconds ago
- Temsirolimus and Timolol Maleate drug interaction - 6 seconds ago
- Brilinta and Aspartate Aminotransferase Increased - 13 seconds ago
- Zyrtec and Procedural Nausea - 15 seconds ago
- Acetylsalicylic Acid and Lortab drug interaction - 21 seconds ago
- Cefixime and Trulance drug interaction - 23 seconds ago
- Clozapine and Fibrin D Dimer Increased - 25 seconds ago
- Gentak and Ibu drug interaction - 30 seconds ago
- Bentyl and Epivir drug interaction - 34 seconds ago
- Vancenase and Intal drug interaction - 35 seconds ago