Delsym vs. Phenergan: side effect and effectiveness comparison - a phase IV clinical study
We compare the side effects and drug effectiveness of Delsym and Phenergan. The phase IV clinical study is created by eHealthMe based on reports (from sources including the FDA) of 56,224 people who take Delsym and Phenergan, and is updated regularly. You can use the study as a second opinion to make health care decisions.
Phase IV trials are used to detect adverse drug outcomes and monitor drug effectiveness in the real world. With medical big data and AI algorithms, eHealthMe is running millions of phase IV trials and makes the results available to the public. Our original studies have been referenced on 600+ medical publications including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature.
56,224 people who take Delsym and Phenergan are studied.
What is Delsym?
Delsym has active ingredients of dextromethorphan polistirex. It is often used in cough. eHealthMe is studying from 4,445 Delsym users for its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more.
What is Phenergan?
Phenergan has active ingredients of promethazine hydrochloride. It is often used in nausea. eHealthMe is studying from 24,284 Phenergan users for its effectiveness, alternative drugs and more.
Number of reports submitted per year:
Drugs being compared in this study:
- Delsym (dextromethorphan polistirex)
- Phenergan (promethazine hydrochloride)
Most common side effects of the drugs, overall:
Most common side effects of the drugs, in long term (1+ years) use:
- not at all: 5.0 %
- somewhat: 40.62 %
- moderate: 28.75 %
- high: 19.38 %
- very high: 6.25 %
- not at all: 2.68 %
- somewhat: 20.5 %
- moderate: 34.44 %
- high: 27.79 %
- very high: 14.59 %
Want to compare Delsym with Phenergan?Personalize this study to your gender and age (0-99+).
How to use the study?
You can discuss the study with your doctor, to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related publications that referenced our studies
- Teimoory M, Arefi M, Behnoush B, Bastani B, "Promethazine and Treatment Refractory Agitation in Clonidine Toxicity", International Journal of Medical Toxicology and Forensic Medicine, 2013 Mar .
Alternative drugs to, pros and cons of:
Common Delsym side effects:
- Drug ineffective: 1,049 reports
- Dizziness: 366 reports
- Diarrhea: 270 reports
- Accidental overdose (therapeutic agent): 258 reports
- Cough: 181 reports
Browse all side effects of Delsym:a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Common Phenergan side effects:
- Nausea and vomiting: 3,097 reports
- Pain: 2,821 reports
- Fatigue (feeling of tiredness): 2,127 reports
- Stress and anxiety: 2,067 reports
- Diarrhea: 2,045 reports
Browse all side effects of Phenergan:a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
How the study uses the data?
The study is based on dextromethorphan polistirex and promethazine hydrochloride (the active ingredients of Delsym and Phenergan, respectively). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs or brand names) are also considered. Dosage of drugs is not considered in the study.
Who is eHealthMe?
With medical big data and proven AI algorithms, eHealthMe provides a platform for everyone to run phase IV clinical trials. We study millions of patients and 5,000 more each day. Results of our real-world drug study have been referenced on 600+ medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Our analysis results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients (testimonials), and software developers (open API).
WARNING, DISCLAIMER, USE FOR PUBLICATION
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only. Our phase IV clinical studies alone cannot establish cause-effect relationship. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Hibiclens and Clostridial Infection - 4 seconds ago
- Theo-Dur and Gallbladder Disorder - 5 seconds ago
- Dark Circles Under Eyes and drugs of ingredients of buspirone hydrochloride - 8 seconds ago
- Elocon and Esomeprazole Magnesium drug interaction - 9 seconds ago
- Xyzal and Naftin drug interaction - 10 seconds ago
- Pleural Adhesion and drugs of ingredients of triamcinolone acetonide - 13 seconds ago
- Cefuroxime Sodium and Lymphocyte Count Decreased - 18 seconds ago
- Modafinil and Eosinophil Percentage Increased - 19 seconds ago
- Celexa and Zyrtec-D 12 Hour drug interaction - 21 seconds ago
- Acetaminophen And Codeine Phosphate and Pain - 24 seconds ago