Contrave and Cough - a phase IV clinical study of FDA data
We study 4,899 people who have side effects when taking Contrave. Cough is found, especially among people who are female, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take Synthroid and have Depression.
The phase IV clinical study analyzes which people take Contrave and have Cough. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports from the FDA, and is updated regularly. You may use the study as a second opinion to make health care decisions.
Phase IV trials are used to detect adverse drug outcomes and monitor drug effectiveness in the real world. With medical big data and AI algorithms, eHealthMe is running millions of phase IV trials and makes the results available to the public. Our original studies have been referenced on 700+ medical publications including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature.
4,899 people reported to have side effects when taking Contrave.
Among them, 32 people (0.65%) have Cough.
What is Contrave?
Contrave has active ingredients of bupropion hydrochloride; naltrexone hydrochloride. It is used in weight loss. Currently, eHealthMe is studying from 5,139 Contrave users.
What is Cough?
Cough is found to be associated with 3,993 drugs and 3,743 conditions by eHealthMe. Currently, we are studying 337,165 people who have Cough.
Number of Contrave and Cough reports submitted per year:
Time on Contrave when people have Cough *:
- < 1 month: 85.71 %
- 1 - 6 months: 14.29 %
- 6 - 12 months: 0.0 %
- 1 - 2 years: 0.0 %
- 2 - 5 years: 0.0 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Cough when taking Contrave *:
- female: 75 %
- male: 25 %
Age of people who have Cough when taking Contrave *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 0.0 %
- 20-29: 12.5 %
- 30-39: 12.5 %
- 40-49: 18.75 %
- 50-59: 56.25 %
- 60+: 0.0 %
Common drugs people take besides Contrave *:
- Synthroid: 14 people, 43.75%
- Singulair: 11 people, 34.38%
- Methylprednisolone: 8 people, 25.00%
- Cetirizine Hydrochloride: 8 people, 25.00%
- Acetaminophen: 8 people, 25.00%
- Tylenol: 6 people, 18.75%
- Vitamin B12: 5 people, 15.62%
- Ocrevus: 5 people, 15.62%
- Saxenda: 5 people, 15.62%
- Omega 3: 5 people, 15.62%
Common side effects people have besides Cough *:
- Headache (pain in head): 16 people, 50.00%
- Fatigue (feeling of tiredness): 14 people, 43.75%
- Hot Flush (sudden feelings of heat): 13 people, 40.62%
- Neck Pain: 11 people, 34.38%
- Nasopharyngitis (inflammation of the nasopharynx): 11 people, 34.38%
- Dizziness: 10 people, 31.25%
- Sinusitis (inflammation of sinus): 9 people, 28.12%
- Rashes (redness): 8 people, 25.00%
- Cellulitis Orbital (acute spread of infection into the eye socket): 8 people, 25.00%
- Muscle Aches (muscle pain): 8 people, 25.00%
Common conditions people have *:
- Depression: 9 people, 28.12%
- Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis (reoccurrence of an inflammatory disease in which the insulating covers of nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord are damaged): 8 people, 25.00%
- Pain: 6 people, 18.75%
- Hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development): 6 people, 18.75%
- High Blood Pressure: 5 people, 15.62%
- Asthma: 5 people, 15.62%
- Incontinence (lack of moderation or self-control): 4 people, 12.50%
- High Blood Cholesterol: 4 people, 12.50%
- Dyspnea Exertional: 3 people, 9.38%
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (a condition in which stomach contents leak backward from the stomach into the oesophagus): 3 people, 9.38%
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
Do you take Contrave and have Cough?Check whether Cough is associated with a drug or a condition
How to use the study?
You can discuss the study with your doctor, to ensure that all drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Contrave side effects by duration, gender and age:
- Contrave side effects (5,139 reports)
Cough treatments and more:
- Cough (337,165 reports)
Common drugs associated with Cough:
- Prednisone: 22,835 reports
- Aspirin: 14,783 reports
- Methotrexate: 14,291 reports
- Enbrel: 14,161 reports
- Humira: 14,123 reports
- Spiriva: 11,045 reports
- Singulair: 10,483 reports
- Symbicort: 9,475 reports
- Omeprazole: 9,368 reports
- Amlodipine: 9,182 reports
All the drugs that are associated with Cough:
- Cough (3,993 drugs)
Common conditions associated with Cough:
- Rheumatoid arthritis: 27,227 reports
- Asthma: 26,355 reports
- High blood pressure: 14,377 reports
- Primary pulmonary hypertension: 11,071 reports
- Multiple sclerosis: 9,030 reports
All the conditions that are associated with Cough:
- Cough (3,743 conditions)
How the study uses the data?
The study uses data from the FDA. It is based on bupropion hydrochloride; naltrexone hydrochloride (the active ingredients of Contrave) and Contrave (the brand name). Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are not considered. Dosage of drugs is not considered in the study.
Who is eHealthMe?
With medical big data and proven AI algorithms, eHealthMe provides a platform for everyone to run phase IV clinical trials. We study millions of patients and 5,000 more each day. Results of our real-world drug study have been referenced on 700+ medical publications, including The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and Nature. Our analysis results are available to researchers, health care professionals, patients (testimonials), and software developers (open API).
WARNING, DISCLAIMER, USE FOR PUBLICATION
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only. Our phase IV clinical studies alone cannot establish cause-effect relationship. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Miconazole Nitrate and Ciprofloxacin drug interaction - 6 seconds ago
- Bactrim and Maca drug interaction - 15 seconds ago
- Levaquin and Nausea - 25 seconds ago
- Eliquis and Haemostasis - 30 seconds ago
- Pantoprazole Sodium and Blood Pressure Systolic Abnormal - 45 seconds ago
- Alphagan and Carboplatin drug interaction - 47 seconds ago
- Stivarga and Voltaren drug interaction - 49 seconds ago
- Peg-Intron and Ill-Defined Disorder - a minute ago
- Elidel and Altace drug interaction - a minute ago
- Olmetec and Oesophageal Obstruction - a minute ago