Metformin and Constipation - from FDA reports
Constipation is found among people who take Metformin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Byetta, and have High blood pressure. This review analyzes which people have Constipation with Metformin. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 199,020 people who have side effects when taking Metformin from FDA , and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Nov, 20, 2017
199,020 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin.
Among them, 3,062 people (1.54%) have Constipation
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Metformin when people have Constipation *:
- < 1 month: 11.54 %
- 1 - 6 months: 34.62 %
- 6 - 12 months: 6.73 %
- 1 - 2 years: 8.65 %
- 2 - 5 years: 12.5 %
- 5 - 10 years: 21.15 %
- 10+ years: 4.81 %
Gender of people who have Constipation when taking Metformin *:
- female: 54.8 %
- male: 45.2 %
Age of people who have Constipation when taking Metformin *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.08 %
- 10-19: 0.29 %
- 20-29: 0.55 %
- 30-39: 4.49 %
- 40-49: 8.93 %
- 50-59: 22.78 %
- 60+: 62.88 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- High Blood Pressure (402 people, 13.13%)
- High Blood Cholesterol (297 people, 9.70%)
- Pain (197 people, 6.43%)
- Depression (123 people, 4.02%)
- Multiple Myeloma (122 people, 3.98%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Byetta (441 people, 14.40%)
- Aspirin (380 people, 12.41%)
- Lantus (296 people, 9.67%)
- Lisinopril (285 people, 9.31%)
- Lipitor (270 people, 8.82%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Nausea (874 people, 28.54%)
- Diarrhea (619 people, 20.22%)
- Fatigue (535 people, 17.47%)
- Weight Decreased (513 people, 16.75%)
- Nausea And Vomiting (485 people, 15.84%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Do you have Constipation when taking Metformin?
- Check symptoms - is constipation caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Join related support groups - you are not alone, join a support group on ehealth.me
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- Ask a question - ask a question related to the study
- write a review - share your experience related to the study
- More tools...
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsConstipation and drugs with ingredients of metformin hydrochloride.
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeConstipation and Metformin from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Metformin has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes. (latest outcomes from Metformin 206,749 users)
Constipation has been reported by people with pain, osteoporosis, high blood pressure, multiple myeloma (latest reports from 152,391 Constipation patients).
Browse all side effects of Metformina b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with ConstipationConstipation
Could your condition cause ConstipationConstipation
What would happen?
Questions to the study
My husband is in the early stages of what is probably Lewy Body Dementia (he has had REM sleep disorder for several years and is starting to show Parkinsonian type muscle tremors, trouble swallowing, etc.). There are interesting studies out there about the potential mitigative impacts of ...
10 years ago I had two stents put in. Was initially put on statin and Plavix. Did not handle statin well so quit it and got more serious with diet. Hung in there with Plavix for 6 months but didn't it. Was told I could go off of it. No problems and lipids were reducing each year to near ...