Metformin and Itching - from FDA reports
Itching is found among people who take Metformin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Niaspan, and have High blood cholesterol. This review analyzes which people have Itching with Metformin. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 199,020 people who have side effects when taking Metformin from FDA , and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Nov, 19, 2017
199,020 people reported to have side effects when taking Metformin.
Among them, 3,709 people (1.86%) have Itching
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Metformin when people have Itching *:
- < 1 month: 45.83 %
- 1 - 6 months: 30.21 %
- 6 - 12 months: 4.17 %
- 1 - 2 years: 8.33 %
- 2 - 5 years: 4.17 %
- 5 - 10 years: 5.21 %
- 10+ years: 2.08 %
Gender of people who have Itching when taking Metformin *:
- female: 60.07 %
- male: 39.93 %
Age of people who have Itching when taking Metformin *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.04 %
- 10-19: 0.4 %
- 20-29: 0.9 %
- 30-39: 3.14 %
- 40-49: 11.95 %
- 50-59: 25.66 %
- 60+: 57.89 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- High Blood Cholesterol (618 people, 16.66%)
- High Blood Pressure (532 people, 14.34%)
- Pain (156 people, 4.21%)
- High Density Lipoprotein Decreased (150 people, 4.04%)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (148 people, 3.99%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Niaspan (483 people, 13.02%)
- Aspirin (468 people, 12.62%)
- Lisinopril (373 people, 10.06%)
- Lipitor (260 people, 7.01%)
- Simvastatin (225 people, 6.07%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Rashes (1,155 people, 31.14%)
- Skin Blushing/flushing (465 people, 12.54%)
- Urticaria (375 people, 10.11%)
- Fatigue (363 people, 9.79%)
- Nausea (353 people, 9.52%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Want to find out more about the FDA reports used in the study? You can request them from FDA.
Do you have Itching when taking Metformin?
- Check symptoms - is itching caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Join related support groups - you are not alone, join a support group on ehealth.me
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- Ask a question - ask a question related to the study
- write a review - share your experience related to the study
- More tools...
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsItching and drugs with ingredients of metformin hydrochloride.
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeItching and Metformin from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Metformin has active ingredients of metformin hydrochloride. It is often used in diabetes. (latest outcomes from Metformin 206,747 users)
Itching has been reported by people with rheumatoid arthritis, high blood cholesterol (latest reports from 165,439 Itching patients).
Browse all side effects of Metformina b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with ItchingItching
Could your condition cause ItchingItching
What would happen?
Questions to the study
User reviews to the study
hello i was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and have been on Metformin 500 mg for a month already and I also take Hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 mg and lately i have been experiencing a lot of stomach problems, diarrhea and nausea. could it be the med? Just checking if its normal. that's all. ...
I have been on Tamsulosin for almost 10 months. However, I have noticed in the last few weeks of itching. I have also noticed some rashes in my scrap. I just took a dose tonight and started noticing this weard sensation and feeling as if ants are crawling over me. I took a Benadryl to help ...